Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Child Custody and Visitation

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
recently joined

Reged: 02/04/12
Posts: 12
changing custody
      #782649 - 04/10/12 09:58 PM

Hi again i have court this week and im representing myself- so i just am getting last minute things together- i have 1 witness who i will be questioning, and i am allowed to question the other parent- however i am having trouble comming up with questions for the parent

my reason for changing custody is- dad moved child out of county, an extra 1 hour away from me (so now its a toal of 2 hours away), being denied many visitations and him never meeting me on time- he is residential parent for shcool purposes only and we currently have shared parenting

now am i allowed to question him about his relationship with our son ( who is 7) or can i only question him about the points i am taking him to court on??
please reply thanks and god bless

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/04
Posts: 31777
Re: changing custody [Re: missrachel1]
      #782659 - 04/10/12 10:51 PM

As any lawyer will tell you, you NEVER ask a question that you do not already know the answer to. You are NOT asking him questions to GET the answers, you are asking him questions to get the answers on the RECORD. This is not Law and Order, there will be no "Aha!" moment. Keep it simple.

"now am i allowed to question him about his relationship with our son ( who is 7)"

You could, but that would be foolish. He will only respond in the positive, and the ONLY way to refute it would be to put the 7 year old on the stand, who would have no credibility to begin with, and would make you look like a HORRIBLE parent for doing so.

Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  

Reged: 09/24/11
Posts: 479
Re: changing custody [Re: gr8Dad]
      #782990 - 04/12/12 10:44 PM

Ask him his present address, his former address , how much more distance and time it entails for visitation, then refer to the co, did he ever miss appointments for visitations, how many. Go through all the dates he missed, one by one.

You can give testimony yourself. And prepare an opening and closing statement. Be sure to be specific about the change you want. Have a court order prepared.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Topic views: 1773

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home


Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: