Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Divorce Source Community Forums >> Child Support

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
momtothreekids
recently joined

Reged: 05/01/12
Medical expenses
      #784221 - 05/02/12 08:03 AM

This is part of our child support order, but it is not child support. I am not sure where else to post this.

I pay for all of the children's medical expenses, ex pays for insurance. He refused to give me the EOB's (Explanation of Benefits), but the court ordered him to. When I was given the online access to the EOB's through the insurance website I see why he would not give me access before. Each EOB page shows that he was reimbursed for the amount of money I paid for the co-pays, bills, etc... So when I pay a bill, he was getting the EOB, submitted it to his Flex and getting the money back. I understand that he puts the money in to Flex, but he is getting a tax free withdrawal from that Flex account for monies that I paid. Does that seem legit? I have paid out over $800 of my own money this year so far.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
matilda
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/11/04
Re: Medical expenses [Re: momtothreekids]
      #784222 - 05/02/12 08:11 AM

I don't think the IRS would like this. I believe he can only deduct payments that he has actually made.

momtothreekids
recently joined

Re: Medical expenses [Re: matilda]
      #784223 - 05/02/12 08:24 AM

I called his insurance company to inquire if he could do this and they told me that it does not matter who paid the money, he can still submit it. I don't agree with that at all. I still understand he paid it in, but he should not be able to take it out on something he did not pay. I should call the IRS.

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/04
      #784254 - 05/02/12 01:55 PM

So what do you GAIN by pushing this? YOU won't get any more money, all that will happen is HE will have to pay taxes on some of the money. Is it REALLY worth YOU spending money on a charge that will ONLY hurt him?

--------------------
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

ssmom79
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/27/07
      #784261 - 05/02/12 02:39 PM

You cannot use an FSA to reimburse for items you do not pay yourself. Doing so is fraud. If you want you can report it to the IRS. I don't see why you'd do that really....sounds like a lot of work for little gain and sounds a little vindictive. I guess if you're a stickler for following the law to the letter, I understand your desire to contact the IRS.

momtothreekids
recently joined

Re: Medical expenses [Re: ssmom79]
      #784288 - 05/03/12 07:25 AM

I am mad, because if he continues to do this all year it will prevent me from reaching my 7.5% medical for a tax deduction. I can't deduct any of this if he uses his FSA. The IRS told me to file fraud. We have a court date next week and one of the issues he is bringing up is health care costs. I will most definitely ask the judge about this!

MinnesotaMom
enthusiast

Reged: 01/05/11
      #784290 - 05/03/12 07:50 AM

Hopefully your ex will ask the court for you to start paying for 50% of the insurance premium, which is only fair.

ssmom79
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/27/07
      #784292 - 05/03/12 09:32 AM

You paid for the expense, you get the deduction for the expense. Who says you can't deduct it because he fraudulently uses his FSA? The IRS doesn't ask for proof of your medical expenses unless you're audited. So use the receipts as your backup in case you're audited, then show proof of payment that ties your ex to the reimbursement (your EOB's) and you're covered. And that's all if you're audited. What's the likelihood of that? He is the one misusing his FSA card to reimburse for expenses he did not pay.

momtothreekids
recently joined

Re: Medical expenses [Re: ssmom79]
      #784318 - 05/04/12 07:54 AM

why would I pay for 50% of the insurance premiums? He pays for them and he gets to use that as a deduction. In Michigan the law is the custodial parent with 2 children pays the first $690 and after that the non-custodial parent starts to pay. In our case, my ex pays 65%. I already met that $690 out of pocket expense.

gr8Dad
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/04
      #784327 - 05/04/12 12:13 PM

"He pays for them and he gets to use that as a deduction."

Unless he qualifies for the EIC, he cannot claim health care premiums.

--------------------
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3993

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Divorce Source Home

UBB.threads™ 6.5.1.1

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: