Is it abuse... can I do anything

Posted by: sheila64

Is it abuse... can I do anything - 04/30/06 12:14 PM

My husband is very verbally abusive to me and my son.... so far nothing physical...... Is there anything I can do????
Posted by: hippie1981

Re: Is it abuse... can I do anything - 04/30/06 02:11 PM

Verbal abuse is still abuse. It doesn't leave physical scars but it leaves emotional ones. You and your son should get counseling to deal with the turmoil that your husband is inflicting. Try to get him to go too, but abusers often don't think they have a problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by is there anything you can do? Are you afraid that the verbal abuse will escalate into physical abuse? If so, you might want to contact a women's shelter and figure out an escape plan if it ever does happen.

Are you wanting to divorce him b/c of this? Verbal abuse falls under extreme cruelty if you're in a "fault" state.

Good luck and I hope everything turns out ok.
Posted by: F25Divorced

Re: Is it abuse... can I do anything - 04/30/06 02:50 PM

Sheila,
You can File an Restraining Order against him. They arent body armor but maybe something to show him he cant treat you this way without MORE consequences.

Good Luck with whatever you do!
Posted by: almostheaven

An RO... - 05/01/06 01:43 AM

is not a valid option unless she is truly afraid of him. If he just uses verbal abuse and has not made actual "threats", and if she has no fear that he would follow through with anything physical, there should be no need for an RO.
Posted by: Gecko

Re: Is it abuse... can I do anything - 05/01/06 06:17 PM

You can File an Restraining Order against him.

---> No court is going to issue a restraining order because he called her fat, ugly and stupid (just an example). The purpose of a RO to keep one person from PYSICALLY harming another.
Posted by: MetalMom

Re: Is it abuse... can I do anything - 05/05/06 01:47 AM

In a custody evaluation, it was pointed out to me that what my ex had done to me was considered abuse. Sometimes when you're so close to the situation, you can't even see it. He would tower over me, corner me, point in my face... with his veins popping, totally enraged (all over stupid control issues). I COULD have filed a restraining order because of the fear he caused.
Posted by: Gecko

To MetalMom - 05/05/06 03:42 AM

Given the information you provided, yes, you could have obtained a restraining order. Your husband was enraged, he was physically intimdating (sp) you, and you were trapped.

But again, the poster has made no claims of anything "threatening" and you cannot get a RO for calling some "stupid".
Posted by: Muad_Dib

Re: Is it abuse... can I do anything - 05/05/06 09:49 PM

Go ahead and exaggerate the abuse. It will help you get $$ and that is what all women do...Don't feel too guilty...Everyone does it...
Kinda like going 70 when the speed limit is 65mph. All women use the abuse argument during divorce. It works, it is a lie, and no one cares...
Posted by: Maury

Re: Is it abuse... can I do anything - 05/05/06 09:55 PM

If you want a poster boy supporting the proposition that abuse should be prevented ---I give you Muad.
Posted by: almostheaven

Poster boy?... - 05/06/06 02:54 AM

Why would you put down boys in that manner? What have boys done to you? I would not, on my worst day, compare Muad to anything even remotely human-like. ;)
Posted by: Maury

Re: Poster boy?... - 05/06/06 04:51 AM

Okay--remove the word "boy" and the sentence works. It allows everyone viewing the poster to draw their own conclusion as to what is depicted.
Posted by: A_Divorced_Guy

Re: Is it abuse... can I do anything - 01/22/14 08:00 PM

[quote]My husband is very verbally abusive to me and my son.... so far nothing physical...... Is there anything I can do???? [/quote]

Well be sure to tell themm all what you and Mikey did to my 7YO
Posted by: BeachBabeRN

Re: Is it abuse... can I do anything - 01/23/14 02:04 PM

Uh, divorced guy? You might want to note that this post is close to eight years old.....
Posted by: Maria George

Re: Poster boy?... - 09/24/17 01:39 PM

[quote=hippie1981]Verbal abuse is still abuse. It doesn't leave physical scars but it leaves emotional ones. You and your son should get counseling to deal with the turmoil that your husband is inflicting. Try to get him to go too, but abusers often don't think they have a problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by is there anything you can do? Are you afraid that the verbal abuse will escalate into physical abuse? If so, you might want to contact a women's shelter and figure out an escape plan if it ever does happen.

Are you wanting to divorce him b/c of this? Verbal abuse falls under extreme cruelty if you're in a "fault" state.

Good luck and I hope everything turns out ok.[/quote]

I agree with you.
Posted by: Maria George

Re: Is it abuse... can I do anything - 01/20/18 05:37 PM

You can call cops or contact and legal advisor.
Posted by: MinnesotaMom

Re: Is it abuse... can I do anything - 01/21/18 09:50 AM

You are posting to a question that took place here in 2006. Do you really think it hasn't been resolved 12 years later? It's referred to as necroposting.