Child care deductions

Posted by: Lenny

Child care deductions - 02/12/15 05:20 PM

I am divorced and share custody with my ex. We have 50% physical and 50% financial custody. We alternate years claiming our child on our taxes. If my ex paid for childcare over the summer months but I did not. Can I use the child care expenses my ex paid as a deduction on my taxes?
Posted by: MinnesotaMom

Re: Child care deductions - 12/14/16 10:49 PM

Only one parent can claim the child care expenses and they typically claim all that was paid. But, know that you must also be claiming Head of Household to use the deduction. Are you able to do that or do you just get the child deduction using a form 8332?