Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#100785 - 04/17/06 07:01 PM joint rtn vs individual filing
av8ndude Offline
recently joined

Late in the season but curious if anyone has feedback... for all the wife has tried to take, she is really pushing filing jointly (since she's had an honesty problem lately I admit its got me skiddish) and she claims its "for me". She doesn't want to communicate much as she executes her plan, says there is no advantage to her. Separated this summer. Expect to get money back fm IRS. We have separation agreement, joint rtn we split pro rata, individually the individual gets/pays accordingly. I've been paying alimony since AUG. Realize I can't deduct if filed jointly, but should I list anyway and also as income for her? Does she gain anything by joint filing other than avoiding 8k income for the 5 months by herself? No problem with giving her share but I don't want it to give her some legal advantage just because I'm not aware. Divorce to be final this summer and I'm not so sure she's not going to fight for even more advantage.

#100786 - 04/17/06 07:25 PM Re: joint rtn vs individual filing [Re: av8ndude]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
I've been paying alimony since AUG. Realize I can't deduct if filed jointly, but should I list anyway and also as income for her?

---> No...it would only confuse the issue.

Does she gain anything by joint filing other than avoiding 8k income for the 5 months by herself?

---> Depends on the income/deductions being claimed.

---> The best way to handle it is to prepare your taxes filing jointly and separately. If it is more advantageous to file jointly, then you set up a joint savings account to have the refund direct deposited to and that requires two signatures to withdraw any monies. This way, when the refund comes in, you take your temporay order showing the prorata share each is entired to and have the bank make out cashier's check to each person.

#100787 - 05/11/06 11:38 AM Re: joint rtn vs individual filing [Re: Gecko]
needy Offline
enthusiast

Gecko is right but based on honesty issues, I wouldn't file with her. Unless alimony is her only income, she will most likely pay more taxes because of it and it will save you money as whatever your tax bracket times 8000 you would save on taxes. It would be unusual for filing jointly to be beneficial to you with you paying alimony/ Good luck

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: