Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 10 11 12
Topic Options
#120586 - 07/04/06 01:09 PM Re: Well, after reading your drivel... [Re: Buckeye]
nrvouswrk Offline
Pooh-Bah

The County I live in is know for its high income. It is hard for our clients to qualify if they own a car. There may be places where you can find them still running for $1500, but not here.

As for the tax intercepts...The IRS is also after my ex for him not paying them the taxes he owes. They too had a garnishment order out on him but when it was discovered that there was one for CS also, theirs was dropped because there could only be one garnishment. This is what the ex told me. I am not sure if it is true or not.

What I do know is that very rarely does a month go by where the full support he was ordered to pay is paid. Months go by without a cent being collected and yet nothing is done to encourage it.

#120587 - 07/04/06 02:09 PM Re: Well, after reading your drivel... [Re: nrvouswrk]
Buckeye Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: OH
My SIL has had months go by where BM has denied visitation and nothing is done to encourage that either.

The whole system is broken and I don't know that anybody knows how to fix it.

Edited by Buckeye (07/04/06 02:56 PM)

#120588 - 07/04/06 03:55 PM To Nrvouswrk [Re: nrvouswrk]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
As for the tax intercepts...The IRS is also after my ex for him not paying them the taxes he owes. They too had a garnishment order out on him but when it was discovered that there was one for CS also, theirs was dropped because there could only be one garnishment. This is what the ex told me. I am not sure if it is true or not.

---&gt; It's not. Well not totally.

---&gt; The US Department of Labor in accordance with the Title III, Consumer Credit Protection Act (CCPA)
(15 USC 1671 et seq.(PDF); 29 CFR Part 870), has some pretty strict laws on wage garnishments.

1. There is a limit to the amount of "disposable" earnings (gross less federal, state and local taxes, Social Security, unemployment insurance, and state employee retirement systems) that can be garishished regardess of how many garnishments are accessed and that is 25%.

2. The exception to the above is child support and alimony wage withholding orders, bankruptcy court orders and debts due for federal and state taxes.

When it comes to child support and alimony, the maximum amount that can be withheld ranges from 50 to 65% of "disposable" earnings and is dependent on whether your have dependents and arrearages.

3. As to who's garnishment/wage withholding order is paid first, federal THEN state law governs that of which child support and alimony wage withholding orders have priority with your general creditor being last.

4. You can have multiple garnishment/wage withholding orders. To give you an example of how this is handled, let's say you have wage withholding order for child support in the amount of $400 and a garnishment order for ABC Credit Card in the amount of $6,000.

a. You earn $20/hour and are paid bi-monthly; gross less taxes is $1,200 x 25% is $300. You would withhold $200 for child support and garnish $100 for ABC Credit Card.

b. You earn $10/hour and are paid bi-monthly; gross less taxes is $680 x 25% is $170. You would withhold $200 for child support*** and garnish $0 ABC Credit Card.

*** - Remember...federal law allows you to take up to 65% of disposable earnings for child support and alimony.

#120589 - 07/05/06 03:03 AM Re: To Nrvouswrk [Re: Gecko]
nrvouswrk Offline
Pooh-Bah

That makes things clearer. I never ask him about his finances. He just happened to mention once that the IRS also had a garnishment out on him but withdrew it because of the child support one. I never asked for any more details.

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 10 11 12

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: