Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#143755 - 09/13/06 01:48 AM Any help will be great!
shellyrenee_43 Offline
recently joined

Loc: Ohio
Hey everybody, I am pregnant. The father of my kid is not talking to me and is telling me my kid is going to be retarded and the kid is a total mistake. He told me if i was to call him again he was going to call the sheriff. If I don't ask for any child support or anything out of him, do i have the right to denie a DNA test to cause less trouble? And help will be great. Thanks

#143756 - 09/13/06 02:34 AM Re: Any help will be great! [Re: shellyrenee_43]
Rebecca5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Down home.
If the named father requests a DNA test to either establish parenting rights or deny a claim for child support, you can be legally compelled to participate.

If you don't want anything to do with the father, and he doesn't want anything to do with the baby...why would anyone request a DNA test?

#143757 - 09/13/06 02:36 AM Re: Any help will be great! [Re: shellyrenee_43]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
If you receive any state aide at all, it won't be up to you. The state will require you to name the father and THEY will expect THEIR money from him in the form of CS. If you're not on any aide, you don't have to pursue CS, meaning you don't have to do a DNA test. But HE can always come back at any time in the future (say when the child is 15) and decide to request the test and suddenly play daddy, whether you ever pursued CS or not. So why not do it up right in the first place.

#143758 - 09/13/06 02:38 AM Re: Any help will be great! [Re: Rebecca5]
shellyrenee_43 Offline
recently joined

I know that when the baby arrives he will take me to court for a DNA test and visitation. Hes not saying that he doesn't want anything to do with the baby, but the way he has been acting, I don't want him to have anything to do with it. We were never married. So i didn't know if he could do this or not

#143759 - 09/13/06 02:38 AM Re: Any help will be great! [Re: shellyrenee_43]
Rebecca5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Down home.
Yes, he can.

#143760 - 09/13/06 03:14 AM Re: Any help will be great! [Re: shellyrenee_43]
rocketgirl Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: On the beach in 14 years...
You decided to create a child with the man... you don't get to say now that he doesn't have rights. But with these rights, also come responsibilities. It is his right to see the child and his responsibility to help support the child. It is your responsibility to foster a relationship between father and child.

#143761 - 09/13/06 05:50 AM Re: Any help will be great! [Re: rocketgirl]
CaymanCanuck Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm confused. You say he doesn't want anything to do with you or the child then say that he will take you to court to obtain an order for DNA tests (I assumed you meant so that he could establish himself as NOT the father) and yet you add for 'visitation'.....

Which is it?

#143762 - 09/14/06 01:37 AM Re: Any help will be great! [Re: CaymanCanuck]
shellyrenee_43 Offline
recently joined

Ok, let me explain myself. I told him i was preg. He told me it wasn't his and he didn't want anything to do with me till the baby is here. I talked to some people and they said that the baby is MINE because we were never married. My question was, since i want to be a single mom. Do i have the right to denie a DNA test to cause less trouble in the long run.

#143763 - 09/14/06 03:01 AM And the answer is still no... [Re: shellyrenee_43]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
The baby is not YOURS. People are telling you wrong. He can request a test, or you can. Or, as I mentioned, if you're on state aide, the state will force one. Nine times out of ten, if you're a single mother, you will retain CUSTODY...mostly because judges feel the child should stay with the mother at a young age and/or because you will already have the baby with you from the outset and they're reluctant to change that. But that doesn't mean you can stop him from requesting a DNA test and asking for visitation.

#143764 - 09/14/06 03:03 PM Re: Any help will be great! [Re: shellyrenee_43]
hippie1981 Offline
veteran

Loc: Wisconsin
If your're on state aid and they request you disclose the name of the father, you can always play dumb and say you don't know who it is. Just say it was a drunken party and you have no idea who the guy was. That way you can avoid having them go after the father for CS if you don't want to. Obviously, if the father wants a DNA test, there's nothing you can do to stop that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: