Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#145861 - 09/19/06 10:50 PM Curious about cohabitation???
mommy2boys Offline
addict

Loc: Louisiana
I know that many people wonder if they can get in trouble for cohabitation witht their children living with them, etc. Much to my surprise I found out that cohabitation regardless if children live with you or not is illegal in 7 states. Here is an exerpt from The Charleston Gazzette (WV)..."The ACLU says West Virginia is one of seven states with anti-cohabitation laws, including North Carolina where a state court recently ruled that state’s law unconstitutional. The other states are Virginia, Florida, Michigan, Mississippi and North Dakota."

#145862 - 09/20/06 02:42 PM Re: Curious about cohabitation??? [Re: mommy2boys]
Miranda Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: North of Mexico
Yes, even Maury the attorney on here has posted that anti cohabitation laws are unconstitutional, but I have yet to see anyone arrested or jailed becuase of it.

My ex tried that on me during one of our court hearings and the judge just shrugged it off.

#145863 - 09/20/06 05:49 PM Re: Curious about cohabitation??? [Re: Miranda]
inlovensane Offline
enthusiast

I think they are unconstitutional also, due mostly to seperation of church and state, because, mainly, marrige is a religious issue.

#145864 - 09/22/06 02:13 PM Re: Curious about cohabitation??? [Re: mommy2boys]
Rebecca5 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Down home.
I think the anti-cohabitation laws are rather antiquated. They fall in the same category as the other stupid laws still on the books, like "No man shall tie a white goat to a fence post on Tuesdays or Thursdays, during a Lunar eclipse, or if the fence post is greater than 3 feet in height"....or something like that.

They still exist, but you'd be hard pressed to be prosecuted for them.

#145865 - 09/22/06 03:14 PM Re: Curious about cohabitation??? [Re: Rebecca5]
Maury Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: This Asylum --->

#145866 - 11/02/06 05:44 AM Re: Curious about cohabitation??? [Re: Maury]
drew1984 Offline
recently joined

if you read it more closly cohabitation laws are inplace mostly for custody battles... its not an issue till kids are involved. in TN if you wat primary residetial parent don't have your GF/BF living with you uless your getting married. My ucle has full rights to his 2 girls his fiace moved in with him from ohio, his ex found out he was 2 weeks from loosing his girls they got married by justice of the peace 5 months ahead of the wedding date... thats a serious issue for the mental well being of the kids not to cofuse the mom and mother ..... Don't you love Tennessee

#145867 - 11/02/06 01:48 PM Re: Curious about cohabitation??? [Re: drew1984]
jil_stevens Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Exactly...they are there for the kids, but it rarely tells the whole story. For example, who is setting a better example: Me, who has a live-in boyfriend, we plan on getting married, very serious, long relationship, and the only man since the divorce I let the kids know I was dating and then didn't until it was serious. Or...my ex who doesn't have anyone living with him but dates multiple women at the same time, the kids know most of them and are instructed not to talk to Girl A about Girl B because Girl A would get mad, frequently has one night stands in the house while the children are present, but they don't spend the night, they just come for the action and leave. He thinks his version is better because he isn't living with anyone. I disagree...and luckily, so does the judge.

#145868 - 11/03/06 09:41 PM Re: Curious about cohabitation??? [Re: jil_stevens]
Maury Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: This Asylum --->
Seems to me the question is which is the better of two evils.

#145869 - 11/04/06 01:42 AM Re: Curious about cohabitation??? [Re: Maury]
Redlegg Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I think its hard to judge which is better for the child because the person youare living with has no legal obligation, and it maybe harder to get all the facts. But definitely a marriage doesn't make anything better, I guess that would be obvious by the name of the board, but a good example is a good example is a good example. It doesn't have to be evil. It is still in the best interests of the child, and who knows maybe two people who are living together can actually set a better example than the natural parents when they were together.

#145870 - 11/04/06 06:23 PM Re: Curious about cohabitation??? [Re: Redlegg]
jil_stevens Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Exactly...in fact my boyfriend is the first real example of a man my kids have had, their dad is such a selfish jerk. They had no comprehension about how a family works beforehand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: