Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#228592 - 05/12/07 01:31 AM Summer school question....
Buckeye Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: OH
It is possible that either one or both of SIL's boys will have to attend summer school. In our city, there are smaller municipalities that have their own government and school districts.

SIL's lives in one and BM lives in another one. BM has sole and residential custody.

Question is, if the boys have to go to summer school and SIL has 8 weeks summer visitation, who is responsible to see that the boys get to the school in BM's district? SIL kind of feels that BM should be responsible since she is the one that allowed the situation that they are failing (not doing homework, etc.).

What do you all think?

#228593 - 05/12/07 02:12 AM Re: Summer school question.... [Re: Buckeye]
jimmie Offline

Is "SIL" son in law? Is this dad to the two boys? (sorry I'm dense). Technically, I would imagine it is bm's responsibility being the sole custodial parent. However, I would also imagine that SIL would want children to succeed. Why is driving the kids to summer school a big deal?
Are we talking about a school district out in the sticks? How far away is SIL from summer school?

#228594 - 05/12/07 02:32 AM Re: Summer school question.... [Re: jimmie]
Buckeye Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

SIL is son-in-law and dad to the two boys.

SIL does want them to succeed and this was part of his argument last year when he went for custody. Apparently, the judge didn't feel "almost" failing was a reason to change custody.

The school would be about 20 miles away from SIL's home and then he would have to drive another 20 miles back to work.

Jimmie, we are talking west side to east side.

In the back of my mind, I am wondering if BM made sure the boys failed so that she would retain summer custody and then could ask for the courts to increase her CS.

#228595 - 05/12/07 02:41 AM Re: Summer school question.... [Re: Buckeye]
nrvouswrk Offline
Pooh-Bah

Buckeye, not to make light of your situation, but I had to laugh at the idea that 20 miles was far :). My son's school is over 20 miles from our home. After I drop him off, I drive another 25 to work. I always thought that was CLOSE! :)

If I were your SIL, I would still take the boys for the 8 weeks of summer vacation, and just drive them both ways to school. I love the drive in with my son. We do Starbucks most mornings, and it is a good experience as far as talking goes. The drive-time will fly by for your SIL.

#228596 - 05/12/07 02:45 AM Re: Summer school question.... [Re: nrvouswrk]
Buckeye Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

The problem is that summer school only goes to 12 so that means that SIL would have to leave work, drive to the school to pick up the boys, drive them back to his home and then drive back to work.

So, that means that he would be doing a lot of driving for something that she created. Part of it is, that child was supposed to get a newspaper or internet paper to write a paper on each week. BM would not purchase him a paper or allow him to use the computer at home to do this work. SIL started supplying him with the newspaper BUT the boy didn't or wouldn't do the work and BM said it wasn't her problem to see that he did his homework.

#228597 - 05/12/07 02:47 AM Re: Summer school question.... [Re: Buckeye]
nrvouswrk Offline
Pooh-Bah

Does he have anyone else who could pick up the boys?

#228598 - 05/12/07 02:48 AM Re: Summer school question.... [Re: Buckeye]
Avaya Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Arkansas
IMO, if he wants to exercise his visitation, then he has to take them to summer school. I would not expect to get them for the 8 weeks of summer and expect mom to come get them for school each day. Absurd IMO. Can they not go to summer school in dad's district?

#228599 - 05/12/07 02:49 AM Re: Summer school question.... [Re: Buckeye]
jil_stevens Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Is there another family member who doesn't work outside the home that could do the driving?

I agree, if he can work it out, then it is best he take them anyway. Also, have him contact the school district. I am sure this isn't the first divorced family that has to deal with summer visitation and summer school. Maybe they can do summer school in SIL's district. I don't know how it would work...

#228600 - 05/12/07 02:51 AM Re: Summer school question.... [Re: Avaya]
Buckeye Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

There is no one else that can pick up the boys.

Can't go to school in Dad's district because Dad is not the residential parent.

I understand what you are saying BUT BM is the one that didn't care if they failed, it wasn't her problem. So, I think it should be her "problem" now.

#228601 - 05/12/07 03:11 AM Re: Summer school question.... [Re: Buckeye]
nrvouswrk Offline
Pooh-Bah

I understand what you are saying BUT BM is the one that didn't care if they failed, it wasn't her problem. So, I think it should be her "problem" now.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Isn't that what she wanted in the first place? Does the school offer after school care? Is there a daycare in the area that picks up the child from school?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: