Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#260959 - 07/26/07 06:18 PM Me against a lawyer - is it THAT tough?
justanotherex Offline
recently joined

Good day,

:confused:

I am, like most here, getting a divorce. I am divorcing my wife of 14 years. When I filed, we were going to go into it with no lawyers - Pro Se.

We have no property to split, but we have 3 children. She will have main custody of them. She works a part-time school bus driver job at $12/hour - even though she could go back to being a medical assistant, and I work full-time making $26/hour.

Currently, I give her half of my take-home pay - $1500/month.

Recently, she decided to get a lawyer, even though we decided that we'd keep everything as is. Her lawyer says I could pay her more, but she told me that she told him to just keep it as is.

She also told me that her lawyer is going set up a court date in a week or two to request that I pay her a certain amount - a couple of months before our actual divorce hearing.

When I first got a notice from her lawyer, one thing it said on there is that they will request me to pay for her lawyer. I asked my wife this and she said it is just a technicality - they won't be requesting pay. Hmmm.

Well, since I am not a lawyer and I cannot afford one, I need a quick course in what I should do, what I should bring, what I should say and anything else I need to arm myself with.

[color:red] [b]HELP!![/b] [/color] :confused:

#260960 - 09/13/11 06:10 PM Re: Me against a lawyer - is it THAT tough? [Re: justanotherex]
Goldroof Offline

recently joined

I am in the same boat. I make just a little to much to qualify for a pro bono attorney ($500 over the poverty limit.) I have no choice but to get help wherever I can and know that the odds are stacked against me. The only thing I can suggest is to tell her that if it goes to trial, it will cost everything she will ever own and that you will fight it on the grounds that you cannot pay her attorney's fees and every penny you have is already going to her. I am playing a bluffing game right now by telling him that I am going to fight to the end and he is going to pay the bill. It is working. He went to my Bishop this Sunday to ask if he could help to mediate.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: