Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#266215 - 08/08/07 04:44 AM Nebraska divorce law is immoral
MadDad Offline

I have been married for 12 years, my wife got mad because her step son (from a previous marriage)and I got into a shouting match on whether he had to clean the kitchen. End result, she went to see an attorney and found out that she could divorce me without reason, get awarded custody of the kids, and stick me with a $1600/month child support bill.

This is happening after 12 years of being a devoted husband and father and using all of my income for my family. Because she quit her job shortly after we married she is considered the primary care giver of the house even though I've shared all responsibilities when I've been home and at times solely carried the burden of house work and job.

I've had no other activites during the twelve years of marriage except those that I've done with my family. I've cared for and provided for my step son along with my three children. I've put up with her interfering family and attempted to get our marriage back on track through two seperate rounds of marital therapy despite her actions last year which included running up $13,000 in debt without informing me. Now she is staying with her parents and denying me access to my children. What in the hell is wrong with this state?

If I had quit work, went on welfare and stayed home with the kids I'd have more rights in a Nebraska custody case than I have now.

#266216 - 08/08/07 04:53 AM Re: Nebraska divorce law is immoral [Re: MadDad]
edg326 Offline
enthusiast

Have you spoken with an attorney yet?

Don't take her word for what may or may not happen.

#266217 - 08/08/07 05:04 AM Re: Nebraska divorce law is immoral [Re: edg326]
MadDad Offline

Yes, my attorney is the one that told me in Sarpy County, Nebraska I have not a lick of a chance of getting custody even though my wife has been diagnosed with depression and been on/off her meds for the last four years. This all culminated last week (the argument with my step-son happened around June 20) after we had been going to marital therapy and she had been sleeping in until 10-11 am getting up and the laying around all day on the couch saying she was too depressed to do anything, yet she was able to take the kids out on day trips on 5 separate occasions during that period.

During this time I was working 8 hour days, doing lunches, washing laundry, taking the kids to karate and fixing dinner when and if she was too tired to do it.

Now she is staying at her mothers and denying me access to my kids and my lawyer tells me that I may as well get used to it because nebraska law considers the person who spent most of the time with the children as the primary care give, working and providing shelter, food, love, and security count for nothing here.

Now she sa

#266218 - 08/08/07 05:12 AM Re: Nebraska divorce law is immoral [Re: MadDad]
MadDad Offline

My lawyer told me that about the only thing that would change the custody prediction in this case is if my wife were a drug addict or a felon. so for her to lose custody she has to be a drug addict or a felon, for me to lose custody I only have to be a hard working loyal husband and loving father.

#266219 - 08/08/07 05:16 AM Re: Nebraska divorce law is immoral [Re: MadDad]
MadDad Offline

I can only wonder what happenes in families when two working parents get divorced. Does the babysitter get custody?

#266220 - 08/08/07 05:20 AM Re: Nebraska divorce law is immoral [Re: MadDad]
edg326 Offline
enthusiast

Move your comments to the other thread, you'll have more responses.

#266221 - 08/08/07 05:22 AM Re: Nebraska divorce law is immoral [Re: MadDad]
MadDad Offline

I only whish I would have been aware of how warped the laws are in this state at an earlier time. i would have quit my job to ensure my rights as a father.

Check out this site, it sums up the cracker jack laws here
http://www.fathersrightsne.org/mission.asp

#266222 - 11/16/07 05:15 PM Re: Nebraska divorce law is immoral [Re: MadDad]
babybug Offline
recently joined

Get a new lawyer. I live in Nebraska and my dh has custody of his children from his first marriage. I know several great attorneys (I'm one, but I don't practice family law) who could help you.

#266223 - 12/07/07 02:59 PM Re: Nebraska divorce law is immoral [Re: babybug]
MadDad Offline

Could you refer me to a couple of good attorneys that might be willing to talk to me? I've actually talked informally to another attorney while my current attorney is still on retainer and have been told essentially that what I am hearing is correct and I may as well get used to it.

I still don't want to accept it because it seems so unfair, but I realize that life is not always fair and court systems absolutely don't ensure fairness.

#266224 - 12/08/07 04:55 AM Re: Nebraska divorce law is immoral [Re: MadDad]
icwal Offline
enthusiast

How can she deny you the chance to see your kids. Unless you already had a hearing and the judge awarded her full custody, I believe she is not following the laws. At least that is how it goes in my state.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: