Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#294123 - 10/08/07 05:47 AM Ridiculous child support
mom2gr8kids Offline
recently joined

I will have shared custody with my future former husband. I have just started a new job which pays me double what my future former husband makes. I have worked hard the past 5 years to be able to afford to leave him. Especially considering I do not have a college degree and my future former does. Now, even with shared custody I am going to have to pay 1500 a month. This is going to make it VERY hard to make ends meet. My ex on the other hand is keeping the house and his parents are buying me out of the equity because he can't get a different place because of his job situation.
Aren't there limits for support in kansas when custody is shared?

#294124 - 10/08/07 05:59 AM Re: Ridiculous child support [Re: mom2gr8kids]
googledad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

No . The children are due the financial contributions of both parents as a means of equalizing the standard of living in both households .

#294125 - 10/08/07 06:02 AM Re: Ridiculous child support [Re: googledad]
mom2gr8kids Offline
recently joined

So, how long does he get to lolly-gag while I pay his way? I'm assuming until the kids are 18. If he marries and his household income changes, do I still have to supplement his income because he doesn't want to do what it takes to pay the bills?

#294126 - 10/08/07 09:15 PM Re: Ridiculous child support [Re: mom2gr8kids]
googledad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

[quote]So, how long does he get to lolly-gag while I pay his way? I'm assuming until the kids are 18. If he marries and his household income changes, do I still have to supplement his income because he doesn't want to do what it takes to pay the bills? [/quote]

>>>>>>>>>> As a male in the same situation as you (50/50) ,I get to pay until the child is 21 .

#294127 - 11/04/07 01:36 PM Re: Ridiculous child support [Re: mom2gr8kids]
1004SRS Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

How often are you seeing your kids? If you are paying that much does he have primary custody? Certainly not 50/50.

#294128 - 12/10/07 05:54 PM Re: Ridiculous child support [Re: 1004SRS]
mom2gr8kids Offline
recently joined

I do have 50/50. I actually had them 70% in November. And will have them 70% in December also. So frustrating.

#294129 - 03/29/08 06:24 PM Re: Ridiculous child support [Re: mom2gr8kids]
mabyn Offline
recently joined

Welcome to the man's world. My husband had to give his cheating ex-wife 45% ($1,200) of his paycheck when they divorced. He was also left with the house payment and the larger car payment while she lived in a cheap little apartment, on rental assistance, food stamps, and state insurance and not having to claim all but $400 of that money she received on her taxes. On top of all of that, he had to pay for 80% of all bills for the kids and did she ever take advantage of that. The kids were in every dance lesson and going to the doctor for every hangnail they had. Child support laws and formulas need a second look. She has now remarried to a man making good money (the guy she had a 5-year affair with) and talked the youngest boy to move up with her. We had him for a year and told her that she didn't have to pay child support. Money got tight for her, so she talked the boy into moving up there. She now collects $760 a month for the one boy. He's still wearing the worn out rags that we bought him when he lived with us and that's been a year and a half ago. Child support is a legal way for vindictive ex's to torment their former spouses for years. I don't think non-custodial parents mind paying for their children, but they do not like giving large sums of money to people they usually hate, especially when none of the money is reaching the children. It's just paying for bills and shopping sprees for the ex. I think that support should be more in the form of coupons. Coupons for clothing (for the child), a little of the groceries, and maybe some electric bill and a little spending money. The way it is now is that non custodial parents pay for everything and then some and custodial parents pay for nothing.

#294130 - 04/02/08 09:28 PM Re: Ridiculous child support [Re: mom2gr8kids]
1004SRS Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

It seems like a lot or money. What county are you in? I get more than most people I know for CS.

It is used for the kids btw, in my case. Who in the heck pays for the house for them to live in, the car insurance to drive them to school, private school, daycare, takes time off with them when they are sick....

Our expenses are split 55/45.

#294131 - 06/17/08 10:12 PM Re: Ridiculous child support [Re: 1004SRS]
ashleyb Offline

Loc: Kansas
Child support changed in 2008. If it's 50/50, you would pay 90% of the ordered amount. If that's 1500 you would pay 1350. As of jan 1 2008, you get a 10% discount. Saying that, I want o court today with my ex over cs and he is supposed to pay 1200. He tried to negotiate down to 900. We have to back, so apparently it's not totally black and white.

#294132 - 07/14/11 05:29 PM Re: Ridiculous child support [Re: ashleyb]
annatof4 Offline

From my understanding, Kansas is purely based on a formula of the parents gross income. Does not take into account of the expenses at all. Nor does any other person residing in either household's income considered. If you have 50/50, you should have a % decreased for "parenting time". In a 50/50, I think it is around 35% of the original obligation. You might want to make sure that is on the KPC worksheet or domestic relations affidavit. It should be under related to "adjustments".

#294133 - 07/17/11 02:01 PM Re: Ridiculous child support [Re: ashleyb]
DedicatedDad Offline
veteran

I don't know how anyone could share custody 50/50, and accept the support with a 10% discount. I'd take it out of the court's hands, and exchange none. I couldn't sleep at night knowing I was a thief by definition, regardless of some foolish law humans have made.

#294134 - 07/20/11 03:43 PM Re: Ridiculous child support [Re: DedicatedDad]
annatof4 Offline

I know from first hand experience having 50/50 shared with joint custody. Mine was not exactly 50/50. Besides, the child support in my situation was nothing to throw up arms about. I was responsible for healthcare. His income was say $60,000 per year and mine $35,000. He was obligated for $300 a month for three kids. Really nothing to throw a fit over. I just had it direct deposited into a savings account, so it could be used for a car or college for the 3 kids.

It is calculated based off of the income of both parties. The courts take the approach that the children should not suffer financially because the parents are incompatible. Thus, with the parent having the latter part of the total income percentage, receives support to help sustain the way of life that the children could have had if the parents were together. As stated earlier, it does not account for separate living expenses.

mom2gr8kids, I would ask the judge to average out the last...say 3 years of your income. Since you just started this new job that pays double. It is not what was "historically relied upon by the parties prior to the dissolution of the relationship" - per the Kansas Child Support Guidelines. It is not unreasonable for you to ask this.

My ex had started a new job that nearly paid double what he was making prior....well he was unemployed for 9 months with no income. The judge allowed to average the income for the last 3 years...which was in the ex's favor with 9 months of 1 of those years with no income. Granted, any time there is a "change of circumstance" a motion can filed.

#294135 - 09/19/16 08:32 PM Re: Ridiculous child support [Re: annatof4]
mcp7322 Offline

recently joined

maybn, you must be reading our life story. Very similar situation here, but want to warn others of another financial burden. In Kansas, child support is a ratio based on parental earnings, not household earnings. In our situation my husband's ex-wife chooses not to work and gets child support from my ex and another man (whom she got pregnant with while still married to my husband). She now collects child support on two children when her household income (due to daddy #3) is greater than ours. Courts don't care about household income. On top of that because child support is a ratio, medical expenses are split in proportion to the parental income. Because the ex-wife chooses not to work, the court assigned her an income of minimum wage, so all medical expense are split 80/20, which my ex is paying 80%. Ex-wife intentionally selects doctors not on the plan and bought a pair of prescription sunglasses for $564. We have no recourse except to go back to court and spend a bunch of money. The whole system needs an overhaul.

Edited by mcp7322 (09/19/16 08:34 PM)

#294136 - 09/20/16 12:04 PM Re: Ridiculous child support [Re: mcp7322]
mskelly Offline

journeyman

mcp7322 I understand that you are probably just offering supportive words, but this thread is over 5 years old.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: