Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#33263 - 01/03/06 02:00 AM Re: husband moved out but still comes & goes- lega [Re: goldilox]
sandytwo Offline
recently joined

Loc: Oklahoma
In and of itself, this is good advice. But don't be caught up in making more work for yourself, as I did. My divorce was final in June, 2004. In October, 2001, my xh moved out of my home and I insisted (as you have suggested) that he submit a change-of-address form at our post office...which he did. Now it is January, 2006, AND HIS MAIL HAS, ONCE AGAIN, BEEN COMING HERE EVER SINCE THE ORIGINAL SIX MONTH TIME PERIOD ELAPSED! The man never notified each individual person or business that his address had changed.

#33264 - 01/03/06 06:17 AM Re: husband moved out but still comes & goes- lega [Re: sandytwo]
thebeargirl Offline
recently joined

Loc: Indiana
At least file for a legal separation until you figure things out, then he can't come and go as he pleases, or go through your things.

#33265 - 01/03/06 08:50 AM Re: husband moved out but still comes & goes- lega [Re: Gecko]
WickedStepMom Offline
recently joined

I think you need to file for a divorce ASAP! How dare he think he can come and go as he pleases! If he's taken his s*&t out of the house, there is a good reason why he hasn't moved out completely and I'd guess it's because the 'other woman' hasn't invited him in!
Protect yourself, get a separation order and boot this MoFo outathehouse!!!

#33266 - 02/15/06 02:16 PM Re: husband moved out but still comes & goes- lega [Re: WickedStepMom]
needy Offline
enthusiast

divorces can take several years to complete so besides filing right away, call a realtor and get a house appraisal right away, maybe two.
It is important to get this now as this will be the appraisal courts will use to divide the property cost. if you don't get it now and the property goes up between now and the divorce than you will have to give him additional money based on that appraisal. The difference can be consideral. File the divorce and than change the locks once he has been served and yes, it is good to check to see if he has filed. I know it isn't supposed to matter who files but the one filing presents their case first and that could be advantageous. Be fair and honest afetr all, you have to live with yourself. Divorce can be real nasty but doesn't have to be.

#33267 - 03/09/06 01:32 AM Re: husband moved out but still comes & goes- lega [Re: Gecko]
Laura Offline
enthusiast

I was told by state police I moved out so I couldn't go back. he changed locks and I was told if I stepped foot on property i would be arrested we are still married!

#33268 - 03/15/06 10:48 PM Re: husband moved out but still comes & goes- lega [Re: Gecko]
Madeline13 Offline

I can't believe that you can't simply changed the locks since he is the one that moved out, but I guess it makes sense. My suggestion would be file for the divorce, as well as a temporary order declaring this your home and that he cannot come in and intrude on your privacy whenever he visits. If you don't want to go through this, then hire a housesitter, since he visits only when you're gone maybe this will deter him until you decide what to do.

#33269 - 08/08/06 06:13 PM Re: husband moved out but still comes & goes- lega [Re: Gecko]
DGH Offline
recently joined

Loc: CT
I agree with the others about getting the ball rolling on your own. If he is out of the house, go ahead and file, but be prepared to pick up the house payments!

#33270 - 08/11/06 04:17 PM Re: husband moved out but still comes & goes- lega [Re: one_angry_chic]
Paralegal Offline
recently joined

To "One Angry Chic" from another - My situation is similar to your dilemna except I filed for divorce and he left (without his things)and hasn't come back and refuses to disclose where he is staying. Please see a lawyer. It's called ABANDONMENT, honey. Change your locks. Your husband has abandoned you and the marital homeplace and I seriously doubt any judge in Alabama will fault you for changing them. He has chosen to live a separate life outside of the marital home and away from his wife. 9 times out of 10 he probably has a girlfriend, too. Please don't let him manipulate you. Keep me posted. P-offed in Mobile

#33271 - 08/11/06 04:22 PM Re: husband moved out but still comes &amp; goes- [Re: Pete]
Paralegal Offline
recently joined

It's called abandonment.

#33272 - 08/11/06 04:30 PM Re: husband moved out but still comes &amp; goes- [Re: Paralegal]
Paralegal Offline
recently joined

Hey Angry - Beat him to the punch on filing. When or if you retain a lawyer, have him immediately file a motion for possession of the homeplace and prohibit your husband from being able to enter without your permission. Alabama also has a Status Quo Order that goes into affect immediately when a divorce complaint is filed. This means that any household expenses, etc. have to continue to be paid just as they were prior filing until a decree is rendered. If he refuses then you can hold him in contempt.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: