#439482 - 09/20/08 05:45 AM Grandparent right
wisa1967 Offline
recently joined

My son is 16 and get his gf pregnant. what rights to the baby do we have

#439483 - 09/20/08 11:09 AM Re: Grandparent right [Re: wisa1967]
Buckeye Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: OH
What type of rights are you looking for - joint custody, sole custody, visitation rights?

How old is the girl? In my state, at age 16 (remember he is a minor), he has no rights to the baby. He will also have to go to court, have a DNA test to prove the child is his and then pay child support. Until that time, he has NO rights to the baby.

#439484 - 09/21/08 05:05 PM Re: Grandparent right [Re: Buckeye]
wisa1967 Offline
recently joined

She is 15 and we would like joint custody. Do we as grandparent have any rights we are sc.

#439485 - 09/21/08 11:44 PM Re: Grandparent right [Re: wisa1967]
Buckeye Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: OH
Don't know the particular laws in S.C. but it is most unlikely that you will be given any rights at all.

All rights will have to come through your son and he needs to go to court, have a DNA test to prove the child is his and then pay child support. Until all that happens, he has NO rights to the baby and neither do you.

Then, assuming your son is the father, any rights you have to see the child will be at your sons permission on his parenting time.

#439486 - 09/24/08 04:22 AM Re: Grandparent right [Re: Buckeye]
javajunkiee Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: SC
I'm in SC and Buckeye is correct. Grandparents rights do not have a good footing here; all access to the child will be with the permission of the parents.

#439487 - 10/02/08 12:30 AM Re: Grandparent right [Re: wisa1967]
Misslisa1017 Offline
Pooh-Bah

Buckeye is right. He needs to file a paternity petition. My advice is to get a lawyer asap. Have a DNA test done. It takes time, but can't be done till the baby is born.

Once the baby is born, he can file. It'll be easier with the help of a lawyer. I'd file the same day. Grandparents rights are that of what the parent has. You pretty much see the child during your son's visits.

You really don't have any rights unless something drastic were to happen to your son. So unless your son is planning on being a major part of this childs life, you aren't going to be either. It's just how it is. You can't force the Mom to bring the baby around. But you can ask.

These situations are never fun.

We've been there and done that. Just not as young. My son was a couple years older. And very willing to fight the fight. Now he's got visitation.

Good luck to you.

#439488 - 08/12/11 07:53 PM Re: Grandparent right [Re: Misslisa1017]
maimai Offline

recently joined

I would try filing for 3-way joint custody. You, your son, and the girlfriend. Do it right after the DNA test or if he is sure it is his, do it sooner. That way you are in there while everyone is still friendly.

This happened to me and now my husband and I are raising the boy by ourselves and neither parent will willingly sign over custody to us. I have had him since birth and have very little legal standing. I have to keep him in private school where they ask few questions if you pay high tuition and have to purchase extra medical insurance.

Although he is worth every penny, this could have been done better. When the baby was born, the parents were still together and accepting of any help I offered them as a couple of teenagers. Once they split up to attend different colleges I saw that neither was going to take him from my home. Now they are both 22 and the boy and I are inseparable and the parents are making their own lives away from us.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: