Hello all,
I'm new to the forums, and have tons of questions, but I'll try to put them out there one at a time. :crazy:

I'm living in SD with my husband of 10 years. We have no children, nor did we plan on any. Our marriage has never been what I'd wanted (I feel like more of a household appliance rather than a life partner), and during our 10 anniversary trip last October, I finally realized that it was what it was, and I could either learn to live with the status quo, or leave. Other than me being a bit more distant and independent lately, I don't think he knows that I'm starting to seriously plan for divorce, and I've seen nothing in his behavior that would suggest that he has been considering or planning for one, either.

All of last summer, I kind of knew this was coming, so I started school - I'm taking online classes for my bachelor's degree in network & comm. management (IT), and I should graduate by the spring of 2011. However, I will have the equivalency of an associates degree in network administration by the spring of '10. I'm not working outside the home, but I plan to sign on with a couple of temp agencies with the plan of getting increasing experience in IT while I continue with school, so when I graduate, I'll have a somewhat respectable resume.

So, that's a little bit of my background. Now, for the past 15+ years, (I'm 36) I've been wanting to live in MN, preferably the central, northeastern part of the state. I've already been scoping out the job market to get a feel for what industries tend to hire IT in the areas where I'd like to live.

So, now for the first question. Would it be better to get a divorce here in SD, or would it be better for me to get a legal separation, move to MN, and get a divorce there after 6 months? I've looked at the laws of each state, and while similar, it looks like MN might be a bit more in my favor from a support point of view. Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to fleece my husband, but I've given up most of my life for this man, and I'm finally at the point in my life to where I'm ready to look at things from MY best interest for a change.

TIA,
April