Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#5158 - 12/02/04 03:00 AM Brothers ex filed lien on house for child support
Emster Offline
recently joined

I hope someone here could help.
My brother was involved in a nasty divorce in 96. Wife ran off with an ex boyfriend. She moved out and took the kids. (She was awarded custody (even with no where to live and no job!)
The divorce financially devastated my brother. But he was only made to pay $400 a month in child support. But his business went down and was late a lot on that. He also couldn't afford to get the insurance for the kids either. Plus the IRS had just put a lien on his house for $25,000!
So then the ex turned him in to the state and they brought in him and penalized him, plus the exs new husband claimed he put the 3 kids on HIS health plan, so they added that as well. He walked out with a $20,000+ amount owed. His child support was now $700 a mont,which he CANNOT afford. He basically walked out with his tail between his legs. Without a lawyer, you get screwed. He is self employed as a photographer but does work a extra part time job, which the state takes out for child support. My brother is financially bankrupt. He almost lost the house to foreclosure recently.
Well, my brother was recently thinking about selling his house. Today he found out the ex had put a lien on the house for the $20,000. She signed a warranty deed after the divorce signing away her rights to the house. Little does she know the IRS already has 2 tax liens on it for almost $30,000!
Anyway, I was wondering can she put a lien on the house for this child support amount if the state is already garnishing his wages(which isn't much really)???
My brother, even though he has a lot of trouble financially, has always been a super dad. Always sees his kids, and even takes them when he doesn't have to. He has to drive 1 1/2 hours each way to pick them.
She is is already on her second marriage after my brother. She is a wicked one.
This is in TEXAS.
Thanks for listening...
Emster

Edited by Emster (12/02/04 03:03 AM)

#5159 - 12/02/04 03:11 AM Re: Brothers ex filed lien on house for child support [Re: Emster]
aussie928 Offline
old hand

Loc: Dallas
alright mate, you are not going to like this response. Yes she can put a lien on the house, as anyone can that is owed money. She is owed for arrears and that is why. I do have a wee bit of a problem with a couple of your statements. First off you say he is a great dad even though he hasnt been paying child support. Does your brother expect these children to feed and clothe themselves. I also dont like the comment he sees them even when he doesnt have to. Didnt know your own children were such a burden. I dont care how many times she has been married or who she ran off with. She is at least feeding these children which seems to be more then your brother was concerned about. Wont get sympathy from me.

#5160 - 12/02/04 03:43 AM Re: Brothers ex filed lien on house for child supp [Re: aussie928]
Emster Offline
recently joined

He supported her throughout their 11 year marriage. She never worked.
She would drop off the kids at his business so she could have her "brunch" which was really an affair.
You implying he is not a good father just because he has had financial difficulties is beyond an insult.
He has never considered his kids a "burden". EVER. He has done more for his kids than she ever has.
You obviously misunderstood those statements.
Took them completely out of context.

Alrighty then, MATE????? :mad:

Edited by Emster (12/02/04 03:48 AM)

#5161 - 12/02/04 07:33 PM Re: Brothers ex filed lien on house for child supp [Re: Emster]
aussie928 Offline
old hand

Loc: Dallas
Not trying to make you mad mate...just going by what you said..which is he took them when he didnt have to. Now reread that and what does that sound like to you. And no I am not saying he is a bad dad because he had financial difficulites. What I am saying is that he is not a good dad just because he spends time with the wee ones but doesnt support them. Children need love, they also need a roof over their head and this is the responsibility of both parents. I would say the same thing had a sheila posted on here and said she financially supports the wee ones so wont the dad see them. Children need it all. As to the affair though I may not personally like this, unless she was neglecting the wee ones to do this, the courts dont care. And having their father watch them is not neglect. As to your last statement that he supported her for 11 years of marriage. unfortunately that was his choice, but it has nothing to do with the continued support the wee ones need ..in all areas.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: