Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#5229 - 12/03/04 05:44 PM Dividing the assets
Shirley Offline
recently joined

I am preparing to tell my husband that I want a divorce. My concern is: We have just finished an addition. I have done most of the work myself. He has been putting up obstacles along the way. I want the house. He has two retirement accounts. I have one. We have the house and a 16yr old daughter. Nothing else of value. I am thinking he keeps his retirements, I ask for custody, the house and keep my retirement. Negotiate on the custody? Any ideas on my chances?

#5230 - 12/03/04 09:27 PM Re: Dividing the assets [Re: Shirley]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
I am thinking he keeps his retirements, I ask for custody, the house and keep my retirement.

---> Custody aside, does the value of the home and your retirement account EQUAL the value of his two retirements accounts?

#5231 - 12/06/04 02:33 PM Re: Dividing the assets [Re: Shirley]
joan Offline
enthusiast

It doesn't matter if he was supportive or not or how much work you did. It's still marital. Your marital assets will probably be split 50/50. What I found is we laid all the financial cards on the table and then determined who wants what. If you are lucky, he and you can agree on that split. You will not get everything you want nor will he, but it should be fair to the both of you.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: