Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#59736 - 01/04/06 08:44 PM Claiming Child on Taxes
Breeze Offline
recently joined

My ex and I have agreed to claim our child on our taxes every other year. She being even years and myself being odd years. Well she is claiming she's broke and told me that she's going to beat me to the punch and file our child as her dependent this year even though it is my year to claim him. We have joint legal and physical custody. What are my options here? Who can I contact if she does go through with this?

#59737 - 01/04/06 09:00 PM Re: Claiming Child on Taxes [Re: Breeze]
youngatheart Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

When you file your taxes, send in a copy of yoru divorce decree along with it, with the tax section highlighted. It will take a little longer than filing electronically, but it should handle the problem for you. Then, if your ex claimed the child anyway, they will deal with HER, and not you, as you have provided your proof that YOU are the one allowed to claim the child.

#59738 - 01/28/06 10:19 PM Re: Claiming Child on Taxes [Re: youngatheart]
downperiscope Offline

Sounds like you have my problem. I claim my daughter on odd years and her even according to our paperwork. She calls me this morning and says her tax people made a mistake and listed their daughter as her dependent this year. Then tries to tell me I can not file now until March

WEll mine were already filed this morning before she called and I told her so.

I find it interesting that she did this considering she got married last year and she is no longer considered a lower income person. Her and her husband probably made about 40,000 this year and as such she will not get earned income or probably any money back. But that would explain why she wants to claim my daughter because then she would get a small return maybe.

What I want to know is where do you report this to. I did not send a copy of my paperwork because I never have been required to.

#59739 - 01/29/06 10:53 PM Re: Claiming Child on Taxes [Re: Breeze]
Miranda Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: North of Mexico
It does not matter who files first, let the IRS deal with her. It is clearly your year so file with her as a dependent and then this summer you will get a letter from the IRS stating that the same social was claimed twice. Your ex will have do to the 1040x and eat the penalties and costs.

#59740 - 03/25/06 01:54 PM Re: Claiming Child on Taxes [Re: Breeze]
luvable0709 Offline
recently joined

[color:"blue"] [/color]
MY SON'S FATHER TAKES IT UPON HIMSELF TO CLAIM MY CHILD ON HIS TAXES AND NOW WHEN I GO ON LINE TO DO MY TAXES I GET REJECTED BECAUSE IT SAYS THAT MY SON SSN HAS BEEN USED. WHAT I AM SUPPOSE TO DO TO GET THIS CORRECTED. HE HAS NOT SEEN MY SON IN YEARS BUT THIS YEAR HE DECIDES TO CLAIM HIM. CAN YOU HELP ME OUT

#59741 - 04/14/06 05:20 PM Re: Claiming Child on Taxes [Re: luvable0709]
StrayAngel Offline
journeyman

Call the IRS directly - ask the operator to put you through to the Personal Deductions department - they assisted me with a number of similar questions I had recently.

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: