Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#610620 - 02/16/10 10:44 PM Name Change ex wife getting remarried
TimeWithOurKids Offline

recently joined

If my ex wife gets remarried can she change our children last name to that of the man she is marrying? I don't want her to be able to it would just confuse our children when they have always had my last name not to mention my children with my second wife also have my name. Will my ex wife be able to do this without asking me?

#610621 - 02/18/10 10:53 AM Re: Name Change ex wife getting remarried [Re: TimeWithOurKids]
elliesmom Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Not legally. But keep an eye out for her coercing the kids to just "use" it at school. They will make her stop if you object.

#610622 - 02/18/10 09:59 PM Re: Name Change ex wife getting remarried [Re: elliesmom]
TimeWithOurKids Offline

recently joined

She has already tired that and she isn't even married to the guy yet. I just explained to our children that their last name is always going to be DeCock just like their little sister and their new baby brother. And that is the name they should tell people. She has also been telling our children that he is their new dad and that I am not their dad anymore. This isn't the first time she has tried that one, she did it when she was dating her drug dealer ex boyfriend. Telling the kids that they could only call me by my first name.

Its just sick

#610623 - 04/20/10 10:41 PM Re: Name Change ex wife getting remarried [Re: TimeWithOurKids]
Yes_Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I'd bring her back to court in this regard and have a CO stipulating as such.

#610624 - 04/23/10 03:16 AM Re: Name Change ex wife getting remarried [Re: TimeWithOurKids]
Goodmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

[quote]She has already tired that and she isn't even married to the guy yet. I just explained to our children that their last name is always going to be DeCock just like their little sister and their new baby brother. And that is the name they should tell people.[/quote]

I wouldn't stress the fact that your children from your current marriage have the same last name as they do. Because they will be even more confused should your ex have kids with her fiance. They will then wonder why they don't have the same last name as their other sibling. And she will use the same argument you are using, that they should say their last name is such and such so that it will be the same as their new sibling.

Just stick with the fact that their last name is the same as yours because you are their father and you being their father isn't going to change.

I wouldn't go to court over this issue alone, she can't change their last name without your consent or a court order. But you can bring it up the next time you go to court over another issue.

#610625 - 04/25/10 02:28 AM Re: Name Change ex wife getting remarried [Re: Goodmom]
TimeWithOurKids Offline

recently joined

[quote][quote]She has already tired that and she isn't even married to the guy yet. I just explained to our children that their last name is always going to be DeCock just like their little sister and their new baby brother. And that is the name they should tell people.[/quote]

I wouldn't stress the fact that your children from your current marriage have the same last name as they do. Because they will be even more confused should your ex have kids with her fiance. They will then wonder why they don't have the same last name as their other sibling. And she will use the same argument you are using, that they should say their last name is such and such so that it will be the same as their new sibling.

Just stick with the fact that their last name is the same as yours because you are their father and you being their father isn't going to change.

I wouldn't go to court over this issue alone, she can't change their last name without your consent or a court order. But you can bring it up the next time you go to court over another issue. [/quote]

My ex wife is not able to have anymore children unless she were to adopt and she would be able to do due to her problems with dcfs. I filed a motion to get a court order to stop the name change, and stop her from moving out of the area with our children. I also asked for 50/50 custody a week on week off schedule. Our trail date was set for the first part of June. I have four different goverment case workers comming into court with me to testifyI also have emails, voice mails, photos, among other things. Hopefully this will all be done and over with the first part of june. I miss my children

#610626 - 05/25/10 08:50 PM Re: Name Change ex wife getting remarried [Re: Goodmom]
Yes_Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

[quote][quote]She has already tired that and she isn't even married to the guy yet. I just explained to our children that their last name is always going to be DeCock just like their little sister and their new baby brother. And that is the name they should tell people.[/quote]

I wouldn't go to court over this issue alone, she can't change their last name without your consent or a court order. But you can bring it up the next time you go to court over another issue. [/quote]

Thats a bunch of crap. It's the father that has new kids and his kids from a previous marriage are being cooerced into using the exwifes BOYFRIENDS last name. You have it backwards.

OP- Just do what you are doing, the kids names will be the same as you and your new family since they are part of it and drag her ass back to court and put a RO on her from further nonsense.

#610627 - 06/07/10 03:58 PM Re: Name Change ex wife getting remarried [Re: TimeWithOurKids]
Avaya Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Arkansas
I'd tell your kids that you are their Daddy and you will Always be their daddy no matter who their mommy is married to and that kids Always have their daddy's last name forever and ever (until a girl gets married). I would check their school records and doctor records periodically to ensure that they are using their correct legal name. She cannot change their name but she can attempt to use a different name.

I'm not sure how, unless it's because it was a long time ago, I went thru school using a name that is different than the one on my birth certificate (and I didn't know they were different). I'm not really sure if a school would still do that these days.

#610628 - 06/17/10 05:28 PM Re: Name Change ex wife getting remarried [Re: Avaya]
WisRes Offline

journeyman

My husband's kids used to come home from school, with their last name on their papers, from her new husband. Oops, then she divorced that one and the kids needed to use another new one......lather, rinse, repeat. In the end, I wouldn't make a big fuss over it. They will figure out soon enough that it isn't right. The more fuss you make, the more confused they get. My step daughters are now 26 and 27 and they totally realize just how much their mother messed them up and their dad just tried to be there for them and not make things worse, but pressuring them on the other side.

#610629 - 06/18/10 12:39 AM Re: Name Change ex wife getting remarried [Re: WisRes]
1004SRS Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I am always correcting the school about my kids' last name. They never see Dad, but everyone knows me. So, they assume that the kids have my last name.

I don't take it to heart and don't make an issue of it. THey know what their last name is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: