Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#614771 - 03/04/10 06:20 AM Alimony/Spousal Support
savecubs Offline

recently joined

I've decided to divorce my wife of 6 years. We have 2 children, aged 1 and 4.

We have been separated for 5 months. I am seeing the kids nearly every day. I am paying all their expenses currently but we're working on a fixed amount.

I gross 8750 (5700 take home) I offered her 2100 a month (1550 Child support) she wants 2800.

She doesn't currently work, but I think she should work from next year on to help support the children. She wants to stay at home until the youngest is 5 years old!

I'm wondering if I went to court, what would a judge award her? She had a good career and worked after having the 1st child for a bit. She just doesn't want to work.

How long will I be required to pay SS? If I have more children, does CS go down?

I'd like to know what kind of payments are expected so I can be fair to her, but on the otherhand, I don't think she's being reasonable to expect me to support her 100% without her trying to help raise the children.

Thank you for your comments and advice.

#614772 - 03/14/11 12:40 AM Re: Alimony/Spousal Support [Re: savecubs]
sprinter Offline

recently joined

The judge is going to consider her ability to work and whether she was kept from working during the marriage or simply didn't want to. It's in your interest to get a lawyer and have an agreement drawn up. He can explain to her via a letter what she can expect from the law. She can take that to an attorney of her own and get advice. But her "choosing" not to work probably won't help her in court. You're likely to have to pay support until she can find a job or while she goes to school or something. Most like not more than a year or two. In GA, if she "can" work, the court will expect her to be working towards getting a job.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: