Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#742626 - 02/05/12 03:35 PM exploring divorce in Texas.....
marriedguy Offline

recently joined

Been married for less than a year. I think I might have just made the wrong decision and should have not gotten married.

She lives in my house, which I bought (under my name with my money) while we were dating. She has contributed $0 to the mortgage, which I have documented.

We live off of my salary, and she has been saving hers in a seperate account. She has basically been living for free since she moved into my place. She makes a bit less than I do, but has much better benefits.

Regarding our financial assets/investments, they are still totally seperate; and we have not invested/purchased any assets since we have been married.

I always hear stories how the husbands get taken to the cleaners in Texas, no matter the situations of the divorce.

I'm hoping this would not be the case, seeing as how we don't have kids, no joint assets/investments, and have been married less than a year.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

#742627 - 02/05/12 05:52 PM Re: exploring divorce in Texas..... [Re: marriedguy]
Renny Offline

addict

Texas is one of the better states from the husband's perspective.

There are not enough facts to give any useful advice, like her income and her needs. Is she making any demands?

#742628 - 02/08/12 03:29 PM Re: exploring divorce in Texas..... [Re: Renny]
marriedguy Offline

recently joined

She's not making any demands (yet). I haven't came close to talking about this with her.

She makes about $18k less salary than I do, but has better benefits. She really doesn't have any "needs". Neither of us have kids, and we still have everything seperate, from cell phones, to checking/savings accounts.

As I mentioned in my original post, we are living off of my salary and saving hers (in her seperate account of course).

I guess I'm trying to figure out if she is legally entitled to anything? And for that matter, would I be?

#742629 - 02/09/12 06:04 AM Re: exploring divorce in Texas..... [Re: marriedguy]
Renny Offline

addict

It seems you have a house, which is your separate property, unspecified other assets and she has a years' worth of income in her savings.

A simple uncontested divorce seems the best route. You part ways, each keeping what you had before the marriage. Her 1 year of savings are marital assets, even if in her separate account. If you let her keep all, she'll have enough to move out and settle in elsewhere.

#742630 - 03/21/12 10:03 PM Re: exploring divorce in Texas..... [Re: Renny]
gray2011 Offline

recently joined

I understand the residency requirements, but what is nessasary to establish residence?

#742631 - 03/23/12 10:47 AM Re: exploring divorce in Texas..... [Re: Renny]
gr8Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Why would her assets, which are marital and subject to equal split, be given to HER? They should be split, like all other assets. HIS assets have been split as they LIVED off of them for the last year.

This mentality of GIVING a woman something she ISN'T entitled to, to keep her from screwing you over with alimony or some crap like that is RIDICULOUS.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: