Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#751003 - 06/21/12 04:43 PM Filing Objection to Child Relocation Question
romy555 Offline

recently joined

My question is pretty simple. I live in Wisconsin and within 10 miles of my ex-wife and 7 year old son. She sent me a certified letter stating her intent to move over 300 miles to Minnesota to live and to take Matthew. I currently see him a substantial amount of time and am filing a petition to attempt to block his relocation. My question is...do I want to keep the Objection of Relocation petition/submittal to her and the court very generic at this point and only say I officially object and await mediation or do I at this point explain every single reason I object to the move, which includes rebuttal to statements my ex made in her certified letter to relocate? It is my thought that I should keep it simple at this juncture and not give away my hand, which will allow her significant time to do her homework in preparation for the mediation, of which I don't think she has done or will do if I don't list all of that information now. However, I'm not sure if the court wants to know all of this from me prior to the mediation. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

#751004 - 06/21/12 10:19 PM Re: Filing Objection to Child Relocation Question [Re: romy555]
annieo Offline

veteran

The only info I have to offer is that you NOT use real names you should refer to your son as son or ds (dear son).

#751005 - 06/23/12 02:44 AM Re: Filing Objection to Child Relocation Question [Re: romy555]
Debi Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

WI is pretty strict on moveaways, especially out of state. If it will in anyway impact your time it's very unlikely she will be allowed to take him. I'd say keep your response simple at this time. You may want to just state that you feel your son deserves access to both parents. She has also opened the door to you asking for custody by attempting to create a change in circumstance.

If you are in SE WI (as I am) then your chances are even better. Feel free to PM me with more specifics that may not be a good idea to share publicly. WI is very pro co-parentling, which is good for your case.

#751006 - 06/24/12 12:34 AM Re: Filing Objection to Child Relocation Question [Re: romy555]
MEBlack Offline

recently joined

From what I've learned so far on this Forum, is if your looking for a place to vent/talk, ask questions that you don't need legal advice for...Then your in a decent forum. If you need accurate information based on the laws in your state, you might just get personal opinions. I do know that your ex has most likely has NO chance of moving your son 300 miles away, no matter what state you live in. I would keep it simple at this point, since it hasn't gone before a judge yet.
You will know when you go to court, if you are going to have to provide more reasons for your objection. Just be prepared & it sounds like you are, to explain your reasons behind all your objections. Make sure whatever your objecting to & presenting to the Judge, is concise & to the point. Bullets help...EX:*YOUR OBJECTION-*REASON...Listed. This is advice that my attorney gave me, because of all the information that is going in front of the Judge I have. So far it has been in my favor & I am the one prepared not my soon to be Ex. Good Luck!

#751007 - 06/24/12 03:47 AM Re: Filing Objection to Child Relocation Question [Re: MEBlack]
annieo Offline

veteran

"I do know that your ex has most likely has NO chance of moving your son 300 miles away, no matter what state you live in."

I wouldn't bet on it - moves are allowed all.the.time. for all kinds of reasons.

Depends on a lot of things - current parenting plan, reason for move, yada yada yada and of course the mood of the judge that day.

A lot of personal experience and advice is given here to help those going through similar situations. You want expert legal advice you need to call an attorney and of course you can also look up your individual state guidelines. Good Luck

#751008 - 06/25/12 01:54 AM Re: Filing Objection to Child Relocation Question [Re: MEBlack]
finz Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Quote:
From what I've learned so far on this Forum, is if your looking for a place to vent/talk, ask questions that you don't need legal advice for...Then your in a decent forum. If you need accurate information based on the laws in your state, you might just get personal opinions. !

That's what reasonable people would expect in a public forum.

Experienced lawyers from a particular state tend to charge fees for their services, not scour the internet looking to give away free legal advice.

#751009 - 06/25/12 10:41 AM Re: Filing Objection to Child Relocation Question [Re: romy555]
SRS Offline

Carpal \'Tunnel

Move aways are possible. There have been several people on these boards that have done it. Depends on a lot of factors....

#751010 - 06/27/12 02:16 AM Re: Filing Objection to Child Relocation Question [Re: MEBlack]
Debi Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

"I do know that your ex has most likely has NO chance of moving your son 300 miles away, no matter what state you live in. "

Absolutely not true. There are many people here who have sucessfully relocated from various states. Some states are very relaxed and others will allow it with what the courts consider a good reason. WI however is not one of those states. WI will require that the petitioner prove that the move is in the CHILD'S best interest, not the parent who wants to moves best interest. Proving that moving a child away from the other parent here is very difficultin the eyes of WI family courts. A job or a spouses job, moving closer to family, better schools, safer neighborhoods, ect are NOT considered more important than a relationship with both parents.

I would not say there is zero chance she will be allowed to relocate with the child because you can never tell what kind of mood a judge may be in and Family court is not always black and white, however there is a good chance she will not be allowed to. Again though, that is one state. MANY others have a different view.

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: