Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#755110 - 10/18/12 10:03 AM Is my attorney an idiot???????
chatty Offline

recently joined

I show up for roll call at 9am yesterday for temp.custody hearing and i'm the only one there? Is there something wrong with this picture? My attorney "prepares" me 5 minutes before entering courtroom in the hallway of the court house. This was for a merit hearing to dismiss an unfair sep.agreement that I signed without legal counsel. I feel like an unimportant client to my atty and it is pissing me off because it is my life and my children's. What action do I have. I'm in NC.

#755111 - 10/31/12 01:41 AM Re: Is my attorney an idiot??????? [Re: chatty]
finz Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

"I show up for roll call at 9am yesterday for temp.custody hearing and i'm the only one there? "

Why is that a question ? You should know whether or not there were other people there if you were there.

A 'prep' for a few minutes is adequate in many cases. Did you ask for an in office session (at his hourly rate) and he refused it ? Did he make a legal mistake in his arguements ?

If you want someone to agree with you that he is an idiot, give some proof of that.

If this is just a case of mismatched personalities, get another lawyer.

#755112 - 12/09/12 03:23 PM Re: Is my attorney an idiot??????? [Re: finz]
Elaine85 Offline

recently joined

In my opinion, your attorney is negligiant if certain criteia were met. Your hearing had been on the docket for i;m guessing a month. Usually the attorney will want to meet with you the day before. If your case ws called by the judge your lawyer was accountable. He didn't notify the court of a change and simply not showing is unexcusable; however, u should stay in contact with your lawyer prior to ANY court date. Make sure you know what to expect and he/she knows your expectations. Did you give the lawyer a retainer and confirm that he was representing you and not just advising you? The best advise I received was....If you have doubts about your lawyer now, get another one. You will constantly be questioning his abilities even if he is the best lawyer in town. I fired one and got a sizable chunk of the retainer back.

#755113 - 05/15/14 05:16 AM Re: Is my attorney an idiot??????? [Re: Elaine85]
Rhonda9080 Offline

recently joined

My attorney takes days to return phone calls, no prep before hearings, no advise on how to handle issues that arise with the soon-to-be-ex. His assistant who answers the phone is impatient and condescending. She made serious and multiple mistakes on every document prepared so far, and sends me emails and documents meant for others. I wish I could afford another attorney, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even get my retainer back. I am terrified, because I am disabled and have no other means if this lawyer fails to get me a decent settlement. Can anyone give further advise on what to do about bad attorneys?

#755114 - 05/15/14 11:40 AM Re: Is my attorney an idiot??????? [Re: Rhonda9080]
BeachBabeRN Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: VA for 21 years, NC forever!
Please note that you're responding to a post that is close to two years old....

#755115 - 10/11/15 09:04 PM Re: Is my attorney an idiot??????? [Re: chatty]
karenann Offline

recently joined

No. You attorney is not an "idiot" this person is absent of any frontal lobe activity. Never sign anything w/o an attorney reviewing it first. She should have prepared you for 3-4 hours depending on the specifics. Do not beat yourself up for signing anything, you are in a very vulnerable place now with emotions running high. Do your best to think & do not allow the emotions to derail you. I am from NC. I wish the best for you. Remember if you have questions ask your attorney, I agree this is your child & your life. If this attorney makes you feel unimportant find another attorney. NC is filled with great attorneys & Law Schools you can speak with. Take care.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: