Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#759035 - 02/12/13 01:33 AM Locking spouse out of joint marital home
DKO9815 Offline

recently joined

I left my spouse and joint marital home 6 weeks ago. My spouse changed all the locks. No legal separation or divorce has been filed yet. Also, there is no court order. Is this legal?

#759036 - 06/16/15 06:47 PM Re: Locking spouse out of joint marital home [Re: DKO9815]
AMT33 Offline

recently joined

I have no idea but my spouse did the same to me. Even now that we have a separation agreement, my name is still on the title to that house but he threatens to call the police on me if I even drop mail off.

#759037 - 06/16/15 09:19 PM Re: Locking spouse out of joint marital home [Re: AMT33]
oldsmom Offline

Not sure about the state requirements, but changing locks is always legal. However, the pendulum can swing both ways. You could, in theory, call a locksmith tomorrow and have him change all the locks to something else entirely. If your name is on the deed, and there is no paperwork, either one of you can change the locks.

With that being said, if you need to go onto the property for some reason, call your local law enforcement and explain what you need to do. Have your paperwork with proof of ownership and ask is they can do a domestic standby while you retrieve your items. Depending on your local law enforcement, many will do this because it requires less paperwork than the false allegations that come from someone going onto disputed property without a domestic standby.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: