Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#759356 - 02/20/13 01:37 AM Wife trying to make me stay
Bdp1987 Offline

recently joined

My wife agreed to a divorce but now after talking to her attorney friend, she wants to do counseling and if I don't she'll file a motion to make me stay. Is this possible??? Also it was brought to my attention that she slept with her ex. Hence the reason I want divorce. I have a email from him stating what happened and when. Is that enough for adultry??? Please help. Thanks...

#759357 - 02/21/13 12:33 AM Re: Wife trying to make me stay [Re: Bdp1987]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

File for no fault divorce. She can't stop it.

You need an attorney.

#759358 - 03/23/13 05:24 PM Re: Wife trying to make me stay [Re: MinnesotaMom]
javajunkiee Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: SC
First things first - do NOT sleep with her again or give her evidence that you are willing to reconcile! SC has something called "condonation", which basically says that if one party agrees to attempt reconciliation or has sex with the other spouse after finding about the adultery, they have forgiven, or condoned, the adultery and that prior act can't be used in the divorce.

Now for the rest...no one can make you stay married to them. SC is a grounds state, but unless you believe she's going to ask for alimony, custody, or assets, or you want it done in 90 days, there's no point in NOT going no fault.

Deny the counseling during negotiations and at the hearing the judge will ask both of you if you feel the marriage is irrtreivably broken. She will say no, and when the judge asks you, you simply say yes. If,and that's a big *if*, the judge asks why, have a copy of the email in hand that shows the adultery.

No judge is going to force a oouple to stay together. But if you appear to have condoned the adultery you're going to be forced to go no-fault and wait a year. Unless you get proof she's screwed around again.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: