Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#760482 - 03/20/13 03:29 AM Parent Student loans are in my name only
IAFF Offline

recently joined

After raising 4 kids for 18 years we are divorcing. Two of our children have attended college with parent loans from the federal government. The oldest child is mine prior to marriage but the loans were taken out during marriage. The loans were based off of our combined income through the FAFSA. However, only one parent can e-sign which was me "good old mom" so the loans are solely in my name. The debt between our two children totals 70,000 in parent loans! My son is making payments on his portion and our daughter together is still attending college, therefore those loans are in deferment. It still does not change the fact that these parent loans are in my name. My lawyer says judges generally wont rule on loans regarding children over the age of 18. It will have to become a part of negotiations. No matter what the loans cannot be put in my soon to be ex's name or shared so it leaves me with a huge debt to income ratio for the life of the loans. Potentially my soon to be ex could say too bad so sad and walk away with half of all our assests and no debt regarding the parent loans. Any suggestions??

#760483 - 03/21/13 02:49 AM Re: Parent Student loans are in my name only [Re: IAFF]
MinnesotaMom Online   content

old hand

Logically, you can try to negotiate 1/2 the loan on the one child that is his. Or, like myself, I borrowed just under $70K myself and paid 100% of my own school loans. I never dreamed of my parents paying those loans.

#760484 - 03/22/13 11:51 PM Re: Parent Student loans are in my name only [Re: MinnesotaMom]
IAFF Offline

recently joined

Thank you

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: