Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#760774 - 03/25/13 05:44 PM Summer for non primary parent
seven Offline

recently joined

I'm the Father & primary parent of S9, Mother moved to CT 500 miles away & lives with Mr Wonderful. She has only been down to see him twice, once at Thanksgiving & once for Christmas break. Right now I have temporary primary with our final hearing next week, I've built up a pretty good status-quo ( 7 months ) with him doing fantastic in school. She wants him to stay up there with her all summer, which my son does not, he favors a 5 week split. Are there any guidlines for such an event?
If all goes well for me in court & primary stays the same, will the judge take the liberty of deciding how the summer will go? Could she possibly get him all summer?

Thanks for any help.

#760775 - 03/25/13 05:59 PM Re: Summer for non primary parent [Re: seven]
BeachBabeRN Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: VA for 21 years, NC forever!
She sure could get him all summer.....but that's a long time. There are some guidelines spelled out in the Virginia Code but I don't think long distance parenting plans are in there.

In general, in Virginia, judges will be okay with decisions made by the parents, without fighting in a court room. If the two of you can't agree, a judge will intervene and then it's anybody's game.

If he's with her all summer, do you get to see himn during that time?

#760776 - 03/25/13 06:21 PM Re: Summer for non primary parent [Re: BeachBabeRN]
seven Offline

recently joined

I'm sure I could make the trip & see him now & then throughout the summer, idk.

The thing is he doesnt want to stay up there all summer. If you were 9 would you want to stay in CT all summer or Hampton Roads? Busch Gardens season passes, 15mins from the beach, which are two of his favorite things in the world.

Seems kinda unfair that I would be completely cut out of all summer activities. She has had liberal visitation, she could be getting him every weekend if she wanted. Its not my fault nor should I be punished because she chooses to live 500 miles away & cant afford to make the trip down. I'm not trying to be selfish here, like I said, she can get him whenever she wants, it was never my intention to keep my son from his mother, I just dont like this all summer thing.

Thanks

#760777 - 03/26/13 05:30 AM Re: Summer for non primary parent [Re: seven]
BeachBabeRN Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: VA for 21 years, NC forever!
There are a lot of folks here from the Hampton Roads area, myself included, although I moved to NC last year.

The **all summer** thing is a POSSIBILITY. It's just as likely that she'll only get part of the summer, given her history of not taking her parenting time. However, remember please, that while a 9 year old may have PREFERENCES, they are not considered in something like this.

#760778 - 04/08/13 03:51 PM Re: Summer for non primary parent [Re: BeachBabeRN]
seven Offline

recently joined

Last weeks court hearing went very well. In fact, we never even went before the judge, my lawyer & I, the GAL & my soon to be ex all signed off on me remaining the primary parent...woo hoo. There's no way it would have went any different, status-quo of 7 months, honor roll student & just piles of SuperDad evidence on my part. Anyway I did cave a little & agreed to her having him pretty much all summer (7 months), most likely she would have not agreed to anything less & would have made us probably go before the judge.

Thanks

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: