Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#760861 - 03/26/13 07:35 PM Contesting new info on Judgment of divorce
kowoa5599 Offline

recently joined

My wife and I were going to file an amicable divorce through her lawyer. I agreed to the first Judgment of Divorce that was presented to me, but when the final draft was presented for signing, it had additional caveats that I didn't agree to. Our hearing is coming up on 4/10, and I am looking for advice as to what I need to do to buy more time to get affidavits and witnesses together to refute the need for the new verbiage. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can't afford a lawyer, and this has a dramatic impact to my custodial rights of my daughter.

#760862 - 03/27/13 07:29 AM Re: Contesting new info on Judgment of divorce [Re: kowoa5599]
MinnesotaMom Online   content

old hand

You cannot not afford an attorney.

Attorneys only work for 1 person and you've found that out the hard way.

If you would, give specific details if you want some kind of direction.

#760863 - 03/27/13 01:45 PM Re: Contesting new info on Judgment of divorce [Re: MinnesotaMom]
kowoa5599 Offline

recently joined

The statement "Father must continue his medications and counseling and maintain stability." was added to the Judgment of Divorce under the parenting time section.

I obviously have a medical condition that is being referenced in the added statement. I adamantly object to it being added. It seems to me that my wife would have a perpetual ace card to deny me parenting time because of the vagueness to the statement.

I was on a 6 month disability leave of absence from my job starting last July because of the medical issue. I was also the primary care parent during that 6 month period.

I don't have time to get affidavits from my doctors and family members from now until the bench trial. I need more time to be able to present my case for the statement in question to be removed. How do I file a motion that would push the bench trial out far enough for me to get the discovery items to back my defense. It would also give me time for my tax return to be deposited in order to retain legal representation.

Any insight or direction is greatly appreciated

#760864 - 03/28/13 03:18 AM Re: Contesting new info on Judgment of divorce [Re: kowoa5599]
MinnesotaMom Online   content

old hand

"Father must continue his medications and counseling and maintain stability"

I wouldn't have a problem with the medication and counseling part (as long as doctor ordered) as those can be accounted for, but the "maintain stability" is not proper as it's open to interpretation. What exactly does "maintain stability" mean is what I'd be asking the opposing counsel.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: