Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#766330 - 01/30/14 06:03 AM How to protect my personal savings $?
Fedupmama Offline

recently joined

Considering divorce in future and I'm the breadwinner but my husband will try to get as much of my money as possible. How can I start protecting my own personal savings money from his clutches - are there certain types of bank accounts he has no right to get any portion of?

#766331 - 01/30/14 01:32 PM Re: How to protect my personal savings $? [Re: Fedupmama]
BeachBabeRN Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: VA for 21 years, NC forever!
Those that aren't joint.....but since you're the breadwinner, you might want to start accepting that you may have to pay spousal support.

While I'm not in favor of it and have always declined to receive it, if he was the breadwinner and you the stay at home, you'd want spousal support also.

#766332 - 01/31/14 11:31 AM Re: How to protect my personal savings $? [Re: BeachBabeRN]
Fedupmama Offline

recently joined

Thank you! He does have a job, but just makes less than me. Do you know also about selling a house - my parents gave us the down payment which was a considerable amount and I paid a larger percentage of the mortgage payments. Would he get half regardless or is that what we need to negotiate? Thanks do much for any help with this!

#766333 - 01/31/14 02:30 PM Re: How to protect my personal savings $? [Re: Fedupmama]
BeachBabeRN Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: VA for 21 years, NC forever!
House is marital property -- so whatever split that's agreed on, yes, he'd get money out of it if the house has to be sold. One of you can buy the other out, if that's possible.

I would think that the down payment would be a wash since it was used on a joint asset.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: