Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#766361 - 02/04/14 01:44 AM MD Child Support office dropped my case!!
haventstartedyet Offline

I have been a member of this site for quite some time & still need help from time to time.

Today, I recv'd a call from my case worker at the MD Child Support office where I've had my case for almost 3 years. She tells me 'they'(MD Child Support)can no longer handle my case & that I, myself, have to contact DFAS & handle getting my child support on my own. It seemed to me they had no issues with getting Child Support through GA, but now that my X has moved to TN(still active military), they have quit working my case & are dropping me to fend for myself. I have never heard of this! I've been told I have to send DFAS my divorce decree & that this would settle the matter. Does this sound right? Does any1 have any advice on how to handle this? Has any1 ever handled receiving child support strictly thru DFAS & not going through your state child support office? I never have & I'm very confused. How is DFAS going to know about the arrearage he has for the past 2 months? If payments were to get messed up in the future how would I be able to enforce anything? I thought that's what a child support agency was for? I feel lost & confused right now...very upset. Anyone that can help me..I would greatly appreciate it.

A little backstory: I filed for divorce in GA where both my husband(at the time)& I lived. I had to file in GA because my husband was a military member there & I was told I had to file there even if I intended to move to another state. Ok, so shortly after filing I moved to MD with our children. I filed a Child Support case with MD Child Support. We have been living in MD for over 3 years. They were able to go through GA's Child Support & DFAS to obtain Child Support for the children. No problem.

Approximately 6 months ago, my X PCS'd to Tennessee...so neither of us now lives in the state of GA where our divorce was filed in. This is where things begin to go haywire. MD Child Support is made of aware of my X's new address in Tennessee & GA Child Support is made aware as well. Was told by MD Child Support that they would be in contact with Tennessee DFAS to get everything switched from GA to TN. Apparently this didn't happen. Come Jan of this year...no child support payment....February this month...no child support payment. Had been on the phone with my case worker here in MD & she was telling me that DFAS in TN had 60 days to establish getting the Child Support set up. I was never contacted by mail, phone or otherwise about this. I had to call once child support didn't show up on time. Come to find out today that MD Child Support is dropping my case altogether. Why?

#766362 - 02/04/14 01:54 PM Re: MD Child Support office dropped my case!! [Re: haventstartedyet]
BeachBabeRN Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: VA for 21 years, NC forever!
Georgia is very cooperative in interstate collection of child support and that's what your case is. Other states, I've heard, are not quite as cooperative. TN would have to collect your support and route it through Maryland.

Unless you have an allotment order for your child support, I don't think that DFAS can help you -- they can't set up an allotment without the authorization of the active duty member. Theoretically, you could send them the court order AND be receiving your CS directly from the NCP -- I'm sure it's been tried at least once, although I'm not implying that's what you're trying to do.

You can ask your ex to set up an allotment -- obviously that's not what's been done previously. You could contact your ex's command and have them have him set up an allotment. I believe that's pretty easy to do.

You mentioned in other posts your desire to modify certain portions of your divorce decree -- exactly what needs to be changed? Your divorce and issues with your children/support/visitation stand alone, separately. Your child issues can be heard in Maryland, since that's where the children are located. It'll be hard to get the provisions of your divorce decree modified after they've been in place for a period of time. The time to not agree to them was prior to them becoming a court order.

Have you contacted enforcement in TN?

#766363 - 02/06/14 04:49 PM Re: MD Child Support office dropped my case!! [Re: BeachBabeRN]
haventstartedyet Offline

In reference to modifications, I need to change the support amount due to extraordinary expenses for the children. There are other things that I need to have changed as well..not willing to discuss here. I have not contacted TN, but that is my next step.

#766364 - 02/07/14 01:32 AM Re: MD Child Support office dropped my case!! [Re: haventstartedyet]
BeachBabeRN Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: VA for 21 years, NC forever!
Child support and your divorce decree are two different things. It's easier to modify child support than the provisions of a divorce decree. Be prepared to show exactly what and why the extraordinary expenses are vital enough to require a modification of child support.

While child support can and is modified, it's usually only for an extreme change of circumstances -- and again, if you're looking to modify terms of your divorce decree, you're going to find that an extreme uphill battle.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: