Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#769925 - 06/04/15 12:12 AM case review questions
bretrx7 Offline

I filled today for a case review. My case has been the same for 12 years with no change. About 5 years ago i hired a lawyer and DCSE also agreed that my payment should have gone from $668 to about $350. Well since I was self employed the judge threw it out and told me to close my business and get a job. I have been told that the guidelines have been lowered a few years ago. Since it has been so long I know that day care was in the last order and should not be needed anymore. My question to anyone is should I find a lawyer or is this process pretty simple and straight forward? Is there anyway for me to try and calculate what my payment might be?

#769926 - 06/09/15 01:50 PM Re: case review questions [Re: bretrx7]
BeachBabeRN Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: VA for 21 years, NC forever!
The child support amounts are in the statutes of Virginia -- it's a straight forward list.

Total of your gross and hers, then each are responsible for their proportionate share of the total number.

#769927 - 06/24/15 10:57 AM Re: case review questions [Re: BeachBabeRN]
bretrx7 Offline

I am assuming and hoping for a much lower payment The old order had day care figured into the payment. I am not sure how much she is making now but assume that is also a higher amount. Does anyone know how long a review can take to complete?

#769928 - 07/01/15 01:11 PM Re: case review questions [Re: bretrx7]
bretrx7 Offline

does anyone know about how long a review can take from start to finish? Also do you think that I should have a lawyer or is that not needed?

#769929 - 09/25/15 06:32 PM Re: case review questions [Re: bretrx7]
bretrx7 Offline

I guess this forum does not get a lot of traffic. Anyway I have my court date for a case review in a little less then a month. Question is should i get a lawyer? it appears that she has one since i received a request for financial information today. i really do not have a ton of money for a lawyer which is my reason for trying to get the order lowered.

#769930 - 09/25/15 10:23 PM Re: case review questions [Re: bretrx7]
oldsmom Offline

I would get one.

My husband has been through about a half dozen modification cases, and only attempted going without an attorney once. After three modifications that we thought we could just do this ourselves. Big mistake. His ex's attorney pulled stunts that he wouldn't pull with another attorney. For example, inproper service, and trying to intimidate us into agreeing to terms the judge didn't award. If we hadn't used an attorney earlier, we might not have realized what he was doing, but we knew what SHOULD be done. Problem was - with no attorney we didn't have an easy way to hold the other attorney accountable.

We have used an attorney ever since then.

#769931 - 09/28/15 12:02 AM Re: case review questions [Re: oldsmom]
bretrx7 Offline

thanks, i have started to look for one now. I am also not real good with confrontation and would rather have a lawyer handle that part. Last time i tried this i had a lawyer and it was still horrible. I am self employed and business is not great with the state of the economy. So we showed the judge my taxes and company financial statements. The judge had the nerve to look at me and I should just close my business and get a job. I think my jaw hit the ground.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: