Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#770155 - 06/26/15 02:17 PM Her Car Loan is in my Name
twicearon Offline

recently joined

I am the primary on her car loan. Because she doesnt always pay on time or each month my credit is suffering how can I remove my name from the loan.

#770156 - 06/27/15 04:29 AM Re: Her Car Loan is in my Name [Re: twicearon]
MinnesotaMom Online   content

old hand

You can't. The lender isn't a party to divorce and will do whatever they can to make sure they get paid.

Is she court ordered to pay?

#770157 - 06/30/15 03:10 PM Re: Her Car Loan is in my Name [Re: MinnesotaMom]
twicearon Offline

recently joined

No no court order. She has been making payments (not on time) but I dont want a car I dont have on my credit history

Shes been gone for about 5 months and I sent a text a few days ago saying she needs to trade it in or refinance w/o me but no response

#770158 - 06/30/15 04:37 PM Re: Her Car Loan is in my Name [Re: twicearon]
oldsmom Offline

Was she awarded the car in the divorce? Usually this kind of thing is somehow listed in the judgment.

#770159 - 09/25/15 09:04 PM Re: Her Car Loan is in my Name [Re: twicearon]
NancyD Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New York
I had the opposite situation. The only way his name could be removed was if he qualified for the loan under his own credit rating. Then, with his agreement, it could have been transferred. But his credit was abysmal (which was the major reason it was in my name to begin with). So it never got transferred.

So two major obstacles have to be surmounted: 1) her credit rating has to high enough to support a loan, and 2) she has to agree to the transferral.

Basically, you sell the car to her for the value of the outstanding loan, then pay it off. She then carries the loan under her own name.

#770160 - 09/28/15 06:36 PM Re: Her Car Loan is in my Name [Re: NancyD]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

Even if the wife was awarded the car (and presumably the loan debt) in the divorce settlement, that doesn't have anything to do with the lender. The ex is responsible to the husband for the loan under the settlement, the husband is still responsible to the lender under the original terms of the loan.

#772829 - 12/16/16 10:37 AM Re: Her Car Loan is in my Name [Re: TJMH]
23yrsOhell Offline
recently joined

Dang it. I don't know how to post, but this is a little similar. I gave my ex the house with agreement he pays off the creditors he created that ruined my credit. He couldn't by a bicycle tire on credit when I met him. Now, he's trying to get me off the title to the house that I have refused to sign off on because he hasn't done his part. We had 30days to complete all requirements, but I don't feel right doing my part when their is really nothing I can do about his. I'm the one that can't buy the tire.

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: