Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#770792 - 10/06/15 03:36 AM Wife sole owner
Mickytlrom Offline

recently joined

Hello,
During our marriage, we bought a house, but because my husband was in collection, I am the sole owner of the house. Since I bought the house 4 years ago, I am the only one that pay the loan. A year ago he stopped paying the house's bills and I took over. We do not have kids together. If we divorce, he has rights over the house? Thank you!

#770793 - 11/27/15 09:21 PM Re: Wife sole owner [Re: Mickytlrom]
Bajih Offline

recently joined

I am not sure, but I want to say that if you can prove you are the sole owner of the house and have been the sole person paying on the house, that he will not be able to get the house, you also have circumstances that would be looked at in determination (him not paying bills)

#770794 - 12/01/15 06:15 PM Re: Wife sole owner [Re: Bajih]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

Since the house was acquired during the marriage it probably counts as marital property and subject to distribution in a divorce. The fact that the deed and/or mortgage are in your name only isn't relevant.

Under equitable distribution the judge will decide what is fair. That may consider the fact that you made most of the payments in the house, but your husband's financial needs and ability (or inability) to work and earn income to support himself may also enter into the picture. So he may very well get some portion of the value of the house.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: