Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#770855 - 10/26/15 05:00 PM Want to Start Process, Weird Situation and Dont..
QuickQuestion Offline

recently joined

Hello,

So we were married in Florida but we are both Washington state citizens. From what I can gather, we cannot divorce in Florida. We are both military and we do not leave in the US.

Can we be divorced in Washington? We've been separated for two years now. How do we start the process?

#770856 - 10/28/15 11:27 PM Re: Want to Start Process, Weird Situation and Dont.. [Re: QuickQuestion]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

If you're residents of WA or military and stationed in WA then WA court would probably have jurisdiction. Florida probably would not unless one of you is a legal resident.

If either of you are legal residents of another state and just stationed in WA then you could probably file in your state of residence if you chose.

If you choose WA then check out the website for your county Family Law court and you can probably find all the info you need to get the paperwork started. It might also be worth a quick consult with a lawyer or a divorce mediator who can help you figure out the paperwork.

#770857 - 10/29/15 03:52 AM Re: Want to Start Process, Weird Situation and Dont.. [Re: TJMH]
QuickQuestion Offline

recently joined

Hello,

Yes we are both residents of Washington leaving outside the state.

So based on what you said, we can go to the King County Family Court website and get started? Is there a waiting period? Trying to do this at the least expense possible.

#770858 - 10/29/15 05:55 AM Re: Want to Start Process, Weird Situation and Dont.. [Re: QuickQuestion]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

You can probably get a start by clicking the "STATES" link on this website and get a summary of Washington laws. But I'd go to the King County site to get the latest details and see what resources are available. They're the ones you'll ultimately have to deal with.

If you're military and stationed in a different state you may be able to file where you're stationed rather than Washington (civilians typically don't have this option). That may be more convenient for you, and the divorce laws may be more advantageous to one or both of you in terms of grounds, waiting period, how property division, spousal support and child custody are handled. So I'd check that too if I were in your shoes.

#770859 - 01/13/16 06:03 AM Re: Want to Start Process, Weird Situation and Dont.. [Re: QuickQuestion]
ikaiak10 Offline

recently joined

I am current Military and a Wa state resident, call lincoln county clerk. They walked me through the whole process and even though i am not a resident of that county they waived everything because of military... 314$ was all i had to spend total and it was over in 90days.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: