Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#770867 - 10/29/15 09:14 PM Clueless
CMichelle87 Offline

recently joined

I have been married for 10 years and we have three children together (6, 4, 2) and I am not happy nor in love. We fight all the time and I just don't want to do it anymore. I don't know where to start or what to do because I have been a stay at home mother for most of our marriage. I never went to school, I have no income of my own. I am afraid that if I leave without the children, to get on my feet, it would be seen as abandonment. I am also afraid that if I leave with them, it would be considered kidnapping because there is no way he would agree to any custody agreement or allow me to leave with them without a fight. I don't want him to know what I am doing until I have papers in hand, and answers ready to go. He is smart, manipulative and very resourceful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#770868 - 10/29/15 09:55 PM Re: Clueless [Re: CMichelle87]
CMichelle87 Offline

recently joined

Let me add: we rent our home, we do not own. We have three vehicles, two of which are in both names. He is a vet who receives disability (mostly for anxiety and sleep apnea) and he has a very steady job and an education. My name is on none of the accounts. Our credit, both combined and separate is awful. I do not have anyone that could take in four people (myself and my children), but I do have several people that could take just me. I have thought about joining the Navy (for more reasons than one) while still married, then seeking divorce once training is over, but something tells me that would not be wise. (Not to mention he told me it was forbidden.)

#770869 - 11/09/15 06:15 PM Re: Clueless [Re: CMichelle87]
c_jane Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: In the Great State of Texas
He sounds like just the sort of father that would ask for complete custody of the kids -- NOT because he really WANTS them, but to hurt you in the worst possible way and/or control you still.

Texas is a community property state. If the item was purchased during the marriage, in general it's assumed to be 1/2 yours, 1/2 his. Unless you or he can prove it was a gift from your parents OR you got the funds to buy it before the marriage.

Most lawyers will offer a free consult of 30-45 minutes in order to try to get your business. I would call a few & set up conferences.

Whatever you do -- do NOT leave the kids. He WILL claim abandonment and he WILL get custody and you WILL be paying him child support.

#770870 - 11/12/15 11:30 AM Re: Clueless [Re: c_jane]
gr8Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

You know, you WONDER why I comment on your posts, here is a PERFECT example:

"He sounds like just the sort of father that would ask for complete custody of the kids -- NOT because he really WANTS them, but to hurt you in the worst possible way and/or control you still."

Now, from the ORIGINAL poster, ALL you know about this guy is the following:

-He is a veteran, that is disabled
-He would (she thinks) be ANGRY if she took off with the kids (as would ANY parent)

That is IT. Yet you have DECIDED that he would USE the kids to HURT her. So, tell me, WHAT evidence did you use to come to that conclusion?

What we have here is a woman who is looking to SUBMARINE the guy, hit him BROADSIDE with divorce papers, and YOU want to HELP her.

Pathetic.

#770871 - 11/12/15 01:59 PM Re: Clueless [Re: gr8Dad]
c_jane Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: In the Great State of Texas
Reasons:

OP said: there is no way he would agree to any custody agreement or allow me to leave with them without a fight.

OP said: He is smart, manipulative and very resourceful.

I have my opinion, you have yours.

#770872 - 11/13/15 12:42 PM Re: Clueless [Re: c_jane]
gr8Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Would you let YOUR ex leave with the kids? If not, I guess YOU are controlling and a danger to them, right?

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: