Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#771066 - 11/21/15 02:12 PM Just served divorce papers by my wife yesterday
Tbrook Offline

recently joined

We have a paid for vacation that takes us out of the country in two weeks. Obviously, no custody has been determined, as we haven't been to court. As far as she is concerned, she is still taking the children, ages 6 and 8, on the cruise. I am not going to be allowed to go even though I contributed financially to the trip. I have some reservations about her taking the children without me. Can I petition the court to not allow her to leave the country without my authorization?

#771067 - 11/21/15 07:58 PM Re: Just served divorce papers by my wife yesterday [Re: Tbrook]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

Take a look at the papers you were served. Usually the divorce petition includes standard Temporary Restraining Orders on both spouses, and one of those likely prohibits either party from removing minor children from the court's jurisdiction (basically your county or state) without written permission from the other parent.

However, if you're not really worried about your wife "stealing" the kids, it might be best for the kids if you sign off and let them go. But make sure your wife is aware that she needs your permission for that sort of thing.

As for you going, I don't see how your wife could prohibit you from going particularly if you helped pay for the trip. But do you really want to be cooped up on a cruise ship with the woman who just served you divorce papers? Might be more enjoyable to have a little time to yourself, and maybe plan something of your own with the kids that your wife can contribute to financially to even things up.

But that also raises the question, do your kids know about the divorce yet? What do you tell them if all of a sudden Dad isn't going on vacation with the family? If you and your wife haven't had a serious discussion about how, when & what to tell the kids, you need talk about that ASAP.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: