Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#771337 - 01/19/16 05:19 PM Not Able to Make Child Support Payments
Terrapin Offline

recently joined

Hello. I am effectively self-employed. So I send a check each month to the clearinghouse instead of having money deducted from a paycheck.

From time to time due to the nature of my field, my income takes a sudden dive (it also can rise just of precipitously from time to time). It looks like January and February will be especially bad this year. I simply cannot afford to send the support payments in. I have been perfectly current up to this point and I'd like to find a legitimate way to handle this problem. I accept my obligation and I am not a deadbeat parent.

So I call the Clerk of the Court for advice, and all they can tell me is to petition the judge. This seems like overkill. I just need a some temporary forbearance, not a [censored] child support revision. So if anyone with more experience/expertise has any constructive suggestions, I would much appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

Terrapin

#771338 - 01/19/16 05:34 PM Re: Not Able to Make Child Support Payments [Re: Terrapin]
MinnesotaMom Online   content

old hand

Your best bet is to send something in each month, otherwise the courts will charge you with contempt of court once your payment is 30 days late. Forbearances are not allowed under any circumstances without a court order, thus the advice from CSE.

#771339 - 01/19/16 06:27 PM Re: Not Able to Make Child Support Payments [Re: MinnesotaMom]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

I have no experience with this but I have to wonder how quickly the authorities would act. If you paid what you could and were short in Jan/Feb but had the arrears cleared up by say Apr/May, seems to me you might be OK (legally wrong, of course, but without consequences). Especially if your ex understands your situation and doesn't make noise.

Given your employment situation going forward it might be better to stash some of the extra money from the fat months so you have one or two months worth of support payments squirreled away for situations like this.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: