Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#771881 - 05/30/16 09:28 PM NJ Alimony - Agreed Upon with Spouse
Jeffra Offline

recently joined

Hi All - Just trying to figure out what to expect. My wife and I have decided to file for divorce. We get along fine (no fault) and at least for the short term are still living together. No minor children, married 20 years (almost to the day). She has not worked in 10 years via her own decision (went to break on day and never went back - I was not supportive of that). We decided together to use an online service for divorce and are at the point of figuring out alimony. I would be taking all $250k worth of debt so there would not be much left over. We are figuring out the leftover amount now. She really does not want much money or for a long period of time.

If we come up with the alimony on our own and both parties agree (and we will), is that good enough in the state of NJ or does a judge have to determine alimony?

#771882 - 05/31/16 11:08 PM Re: NJ Alimony - Agreed Upon with Spouse [Re: Jeffra]
MinnesotaMom Online   content

old hand

Judges will look things over to make sure they are somewhat fair, but from what you posted you are probably ok. It really depends on your exact income, the amount of debt and what the specifics of your alimony are. For example, if you make $300K a year, are taking over $250K in debt and are going to pay $1000/month for 5 years, that won't fly.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: