Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#771961 - 06/11/16 05:16 PM what is community prop after 5 year separation
Jwalkerrt Offline

recently joined

Hello,

My ex and I have been separated for 5 to 6 years now. We haven't lived together since then. We have a daughter whom I pay child support through an order based upon our separation that is garnished from my paycheck which is fine by me.

Now the issue is community property. We filed divorce papers about a year ago to which my ex was supposed to submit them due to her ability to file for indigent status thus avoiding the $400 fee. Well after a ton of excuses, I finally discovered that she never filed so I'm in the process of attempting to retrieve the notarized documents.

Now on to the most pertinent part. My girlfriend and I have been living together going on 2 years now. We currently rent but are very interested in finding a home to buy. She has her reservations based on the legitimate fear that if my name is on the loan, my ex could technically acquire half of this house.

I was reading about community property and especially a house and it seems as if said property was purchased without marital assets, my ex would not be entitled to this property but I'm not positive in this respect.

Can someone elucidate on how this works especially considering we have been separated that this long and also since my girlfriend will be on the loan for the house also.

Thank you

#771962 - 06/12/16 01:36 PM Re: what is community prop after 5 year separation [Re: Jwalkerrt]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Get divorced first. It's the only way to avoid possible future litigation, which could cost a fortune in legal fees.

Non-contested divorce only takes a few months.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: