Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#772507 - 09/13/16 02:10 PM Need to prove to court I can drive
SheIsSoBitter Offline

recently joined

I'm on prescription meds for bipolar disorder and the court is requiring supervision because "they're unsure I can drive a motor vehicle under the influence of the drugs I admit taking."

How do I go about making them sure I can drive?

#772508 - 09/13/16 06:29 PM Re: Need to prove to court I can drive [Re: SheIsSoBitter]
mskelly Offline

journeyman

My question is why would you want to drive (especially with your children in the car)while you're under the influence of prescription medication? Especially mood altering drugs which effect ones judgment? :confused:

Edited by mskelly (09/13/16 06:30 PM)

#772509 - 09/13/16 10:29 PM Re: Need to prove to court I can drive [Re: mskelly]
TJMH Offline

enthusiast

Does the drug label include any advice about operating a motor vehicle? What does the prescribing doctor say?

#772510 - 09/14/16 06:31 AM Re: Need to prove to court I can drive [Re: SheIsSoBitter]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

List the med if you want any kind of accurate response.

#772511 - 09/14/16 07:36 PM Re: Need to prove to court I can drive [Re: mskelly]
SheIsSoBitter Offline

recently joined

[quote]My question is why would you want to drive (especially with your children in the car)while you're under the influence of prescription medication? Especially mood altering drugs which effect ones judgment? :confused: [/quote]

I'm bipolar, not disabled. If my meds made me impaired, I wouldn't be able to work. If I were impaired in any way, I wouldn't go anywhere near my son, I would never put him at risk. To answer your question in a different way, my prescription "cocktail" is commonly prescribed, has absolutely nothing to do with my ability to drive and has everything to do with my son's mother needing absolute control and willingness to stop at nothing to isolate my son from me.

Basically, the judge wants something that states that it's safe for my son to be in the car with me.

I produced an affidavit from the psychiatrist stating that he prescribes me the meds, that I'm not impaired by them and I'm safe to drive.

I am having a lot of problems getting around this, it's important that I see my son, I can't deal with the supervision requirement anymore because it's impossible to find a willing party to take me around every weekend. I want to see him during the week and have the right to do so but I don't have someone who will take me and I ask this question because I'm pro se at this point.

My wife has filed so many motions and pulled so much crap that it put my attorney fees past the point of no return. We have few to no assets and those assets should have been going to our son.

I'm on common bi-polar scripts. I'm not going into specifics unless it's important that I do so.

#772512 - 09/15/16 11:21 PM Re: Need to prove to court I can drive [Re: SheIsSoBitter]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Do you have some previous drug convictions, or do you use THC (common with bi-polar) in addition to your prescribed medications? Otherwise, your post makes no sense. Is there more to the story?

#772513 - 09/16/16 11:08 AM Re: Need to prove to court I can drive [Re: MinnesotaMom]
Annie7676 Offline
old hand

Loc: NY
What about reasonable accommodation approach? I know it is typically used in the workplace. But if you have a documented medical issue that impacts your life and the court is giving you a hard time on this with the car thing, then make them have your X drive them to where you are. Ask for accommodation because of it, see if that works. Its not your fault you are doing the right thing and as you state you want to see your children. If your X is behind this, then try another approach. Not sure this makes sense but your condition is some areas of life is recognized as a medical issue and should be treated just as any other one. What if you had a medical issue that precluded you from driving? Then what...would the court be giving you such a hard time? Good luck.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: