Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#772525 - 09/15/16 07:41 PM Medical expenses and reimbursement
Ranjan Offline

recently joined

My soon to be ex carries our two children on her health insurance. My son went to the er and she sent me the medical claim bill. She has a HRA which paid for $425 of the bill and the total owed was $719. She says that I owe her half of the HRA and I have to pay all of the $719. She didn't come out of pocket for the $425 as her company paid it. Is she correct in saying I have to pay half of money she didn't pay?

#772526 - 09/16/16 10:58 AM Re: Medical expenses and reimbursement [Re: Ranjan]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

If there is no court order as to who pays, you owe half of $719, or $359.50. If you have a court order that says you must pay all medical bills, then you owe $719. You don't owe any of the $425.

#772527 - 09/19/16 04:50 PM Re: Medical expenses and reimbursement [Re: MinnesotaMom]
mskelly Offline

journeyman

It depends on what your court order states and how it is stated. Mine stated each was responsible for 50% of out of pocket not covered by insurance.

In your case, it's not Insurance, but an HRA which would still be the same scenario. The key being "out of pocket" If the HRA paid $425, that's not part of the out of pocket. You would not owe any part of the portion that the HRA paid.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: