Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#772592 - 09/29/16 11:54 AM Help with settling money
Sandra16 Offline

recently joined

Hello everyone,
I separated with my husband and we are going to get a divorce. He created a spreadsheet with all the money to settle, bank accounts, credit card debts etc. He even put on there the cash that I had on hand when I left and my health savings account. I just want this divorce to go down smooth and fast, no fighting, but can he really put my health savings account on there, that I have to pay him half of what's on there? This is not even money I actually have plus we moved to a different country, so I can't access it...
we don't have kids or property which makes it easier and I'm not asking for any more money than $500 for furniture etc we had bought. I'm also not asking for mi thly support even though he earns a lot more than me. Thoughts?
I appreciate any help I can get!
Sandra

#772593 - 09/29/16 02:26 PM Re: Help with settling money [Re: Sandra16]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Any cash you took or had on hand is to be split. As for the health savings account, did you contribute to it? If so, you may owe 1/2 the value. If your employer provided it without any cost to you and it has no cash value, then there's nothing to split. Alimony is based on many issues with length of marriage probably having the most bearing. What state were you married in, for how many years, and what are your respective yearly incomes? What county do you live in now? Whose "we" (that moved) in this equation?

#772594 - 09/29/16 03:15 PM Re: Help with settling money [Re: MinnesotaMom]
Sandra16 Offline

recently joined

Thanks for your answer! The health savings account is mine, I contributed to it $10 a month and my company $750 a year. There is about $1400 in it and he wants half of that money.
We were married in Utah, in April 2008 so more than 8 years. I am not looking for alimony.
We live in Panama, I moved here with my then husband. We both still live here but in different apartments.

#772595 - 09/29/16 05:11 PM Re: Help with settling money [Re: Sandra16]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

If you are Panama residents, US will not apply. I have no idea what their divorce law would look like.

#772596 - 09/30/16 07:41 AM Re: Help with settling money [Re: MinnesotaMom]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

There's an article on Divorcenet about divorce for US citizens living abroad you may want to look up. You probably are subject to local law and you definitely need to talk to an attorney who can help you navigate.

If you don't intend to stay in Panama after the divorce it might be easier to move back, establish residency in a state and then file there.

Since the HSA (including company contributions) could be considered part of your compensation during the marriage it may well be considered part of the marital estate and subject to division.

#772597 - 10/03/16 05:47 PM Re: Help with settling money [Re: TJMH]
mskelly Offline

journeyman

Like the previous poster said, if you want to return to the states, you may want to move back, establish residency, then file for divorce where you live.

Much of the financial division is going to depend on the divorce law where you reside and file. If it is not a community property state, then it's not really a 50/50 division. You'll need to talk to an attorney that specialized in the divorce law either in Panama or where ever you'll plan to file.

#772598 - 10/07/16 04:26 AM Re: Help with settling money [Re: mskelly]
veronica123 Offline

recently joined

Are you looking for a loan of urgency? either:
To boost your financial activities?
To renovate the Interior of your apartment; House; building?
Rental?
Car purchase?
Credit for the wedding?
Settling a debt?
For the realization of a project?
Pregnancy?
Divorce?
Surgical operation or words of health
Or for other reasons etc...
Person-to-person loan offer I put at your disposal a ready to
starting from 5000$ to 250000$ with very simple conditions at a rate
2%, 3 years, 4 years, 5 years
For more information please contact me directly to my address
e-mail: beaujeanveroniquepatricia@gmail.com
PS: I lend only to people likely to pay back me and honest
my money

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: