Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#772707 - 10/28/16 04:31 PM Jurisdiction change and...potential extension...?
2Seconds2Mars Offline

recently joined

Hello- I've been a reader of these forums for quite some time now, and they have provided me with great guidance. I have a situation that I need some information on, but I was not able to find anything like this on the forum, so I was hoping for some guidance and expertise based on your experience. I got divorced in NY and child support was incorporated in the divorce. Long story short, I am not in contact with my 3 children (ages 22, 18 and 16) from this marriage and I have moved out of NY. Before this happened, every attempt I made to be involved in their schools, doctors etc. was thwarted- although about five years ago (5 years after the divorce), I was able to get a medical record from one provider saying that my older son (who is now 18) was autistic to some degree. Recently, an acquaintance informed me that my ex recently moved to Florida. I still pay child support for all 3 of my children and am now concerned that my ex will attempt to have jurisdiction changed from NY to Florida and compel me to pay child support in perpetuity for my son. My son has graduated from high school and I believe is also working part time, but this may be on or off the books. Is this scenario possible, especially since my son is now 18? My research indicates the child cannot be above the age of majority to amend the order, especially with something of that nature, and I have received no indication or court/child support filing to the effect that my son should be categorized special needs, but I am not sure how accurate my research is, nor am I familiar with Florida family/child support law. I appreciate all substantive responses that can assist me. Thanks.

#772708 - 10/28/16 08:01 PM Re: Jurisdiction change and...potential extension...? [Re: 2Seconds2Mars]
JimA999 Offline

My ex has moved to several states the rule is you go by the law of the state the support order was made in. My order was in PA so my support stops at the age of 18 or graduate high school which ever comes later, no mater where she moves to.

#772709 - 10/28/16 10:03 PM Re: Jurisdiction change and...potential extension...? [Re: JimA999]
2Seconds2Mars Offline

recently joined

Thanks Jim- this applies even if neither party lives in the state it originated in?

#772710 - 10/29/16 04:36 AM Re: Jurisdiction change and...potential extension...? [Re: 2Seconds2Mars]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

It might be possible to extend support, but in NY, it ends at age 21 for a what would be labeled a mental disability.

#772711 - 10/31/16 12:19 PM Re: Jurisdiction change and...potential extension...? [Re: MinnesotaMom]
JimA999 Offline

Yes I no longer live in the state we were divorced in

#772712 - 11/04/16 01:31 PM Re: Jurisdiction change and...potential extension...? [Re: JimA999]
2Seconds2Mars Offline

recently joined

Thank you both very much- this has been very helpful.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: