Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#772742 - 11/15/16 10:29 PM Uncontested divorce and spousal support
nickaleeta Offline
recently joined

Hi. Me and my wife filed for an uncontested divorce in California where she agreed and signed that I will not owe her any money/support/alimony going forward. After the divorce is final (6 month waiting period in California) and signed by a judge, can she change her mind later and demand support/alimony? Can I be legally held liable for alimony or any form of ex-spousal support in such a case? Any advice or info will be appreciated, thanks.

#772744 - 11/16/16 01:36 PM Re: Uncontested divorce and spousal support [Re: nickaleeta]
TJMH Offline

enthusiast

Unless your agreement terminates the court's jurisdiction over spousal support she can come back later and ask for a modification. But she'd need to argue that circumstances had changed since she signed the original agreement that justify a change. So maybe if she lost her job through no fault of her own or something like that. She probably wouldn't be successful if she was just saying she agreed not to ask for it before but changed her mind

#772749 - 11/16/16 06:09 PM Re: Uncontested divorce and spousal support [Re: nickaleeta]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

She can't legally waive child support, if that applies. She can get that anytime, but it would start at the time she files with the court. As for alimony, it would have to been specifically worded so that it couldn't be revisited.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: