Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#772778 - 12/03/16 02:50 AM Moving
Glowstickw Offline
recently joined

I live in OH and I want to move to PA. I want to move because my boyfriend has a daughter who is in PA and he wants to move to be closer to her and I want to go with him.

My son's dad live 25 miles away now and when I move it'll be around 60 miles, so it only adds about 35 miles to his distance which isn't much, but will let my boyfriend be very close to his daughter.

My son's dad sees him every other weekend and Wednesday. He gets him all the time the court order will allow, even when I don't think he should. Then he asks me to be able to have him when I'm working, but I always tell him no because he doesn't need to see my son when it's my time with him and I'd rather my son have that time to bond with the babysitter who I consider family.

My son's dad joined the PTA at my sons school and volunteers at school events. This means I can't be part of the PTA or take my son to school events because his Dad is there and I don't like letting him see my son when it's not his time. I know if we move he probably won't be able to do these things because it'll be too far away to drive to after he gets off work so I won't have to worry about him being places I don't want him to be.

I think that I have a good case to move away. My boyfriend is a great dad and we'll be able to be a real family when we're closer to his daughter. Right now he only gets to see his daughter every other weekend which isn't enough so this move is really important for my family.

My son's dad will take me to court and say he doesn't want me to move because he hates me and he doesn't want me to be happy. Do you think the judge will understand how important it is to move and that my son's dad is just trying to cause me problems by not wanting me to move and be happy?

#772780 - 12/03/16 04:13 AM Re: Moving [Re: Glowstickw]
TJMH Offline

enthusiast

I think a judge will focus on what's best for your son. Which you haven't really mentioned.

#772783 - 12/03/16 10:04 PM Re: Moving [Re: Glowstickw]
SRS Offline

Carpal \'Tunnel

It is your choice not to be involved with your son's school and it is your choice not to allow your son to spend time with his Dad.

Your son's Dad will say he's an involved parent and it sounds like he is. Be prepared to give up custody.

Hope your new lay is worth it.....

#772786 - 12/04/16 09:16 PM Re: Moving [Re: Glowstickw]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Expect to lose custody if you move the child away. You've shown nothing that would compel a judge to allow it. If anything, you've provided nothing but reasons to change custody to your ex.

If you don't understand why, you need to both see an attorney and research "the best interest of the child and custody."

Edited by MinnesotaMom (12/04/16 09:21 PM)

#772787 - 12/05/16 03:59 PM Re: Moving [Re: Glowstickw]
Glowstickw Offline
recently joined

When I picked up my son yesterday his Dad told me he's moving to the town I live in and he will be 1.5 miles from my son's school!

I don't want him to move to my town! Can I stop him from moving to my town like you guys say he can stop me from moving?

#772788 - 12/05/16 04:28 PM Re: Moving [Re: Glowstickw]
TJMH Offline

enthusiast

You're talking about moving your son AWAY from one of his parents, restricting that parent's access to his child. He's talking about moving CLOSER to his son, which would not impact your access or custody at all. Do you REALLY not see the difference?

If this is what you really want, then you should go to court and try to show cause why your ex-husband should have a restraining order against him, requiring him to live a certain distance away from you and your/his son. Good luck with that...

Also, I'm curious about this babysitter that you "consider part of the family". Would this person be moving to PA with you and your boyfriend? Or commuting?

#772790 - 12/06/16 12:37 AM Re: Moving [Re: Glowstickw]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

[quote=Glowstickw]When I picked up my son yesterday his Dad told me he's moving to the town I live in and he will be 1.5 miles from my son's school!

I don't want him to move to my town! Can I stop him from moving to my town like you guys say he can stop me from moving? [/quote]

You are free to move wherever you please, just as he is.

#772791 - 12/06/16 12:13 PM Re: Moving [Re: Glowstickw]
Goodmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

[quote=Glowstickw]When I picked up my son yesterday his Dad told me he's moving to the town I live in and he will be 1.5 miles from my son's school! [/quote]

Good for your son.

I would rather not see my ex again. But he and I have kids together. It's unavoidable. I'm not about to stop my kids from participating in an activity on my time simply because my ex will be there to see his kids on my time. That's just not right. You come across as moving just to spite your ex.

ETA: If the father is able to care for his kid while you are at work, he should. The father is way more important than the babysitter

Edited by Goodmom (12/06/16 12:18 PM)

#772793 - 12/07/16 03:06 AM Re: Moving [Re: Glowstickw]
SRS Offline

Carpal \'Tunnel

My kids dad rarely saw our kids. He missed everything. He lived less than 4 miles away and never saw the kids on swim team. Never saw them play tball together. He moved out of the county and still demanded that I provide transportation when he'd see them. Whatever girl he was dating at the time was more important. Her kids were more important than ours. Providing for her family was more important than providing for his kids. Once he decided to keep the kids for a week at Christmas and refuse to let me have any visitation because it was his week. He'd take our son, but not our daughter because his gf didn't like our daughter.

I moved away with my kids. The courts allowed it. I live in another state and provide transportation when he chooses to see them (once a year or so). He will make arrangements to come over to see our kids and cancel at the last minute. He sucks but I would never let them know I feel that way.

The courts let me move because he wasn't involved with the kids and I needed family support. If he had been involved, I wouldn't have moved away.

Kids need both bio parents. They really do if there is no abuse. You need to get over yourself and do what is right for your kid - seeing both parents on a regular basis.

Edited by SRS (12/07/16 12:35 PM)

#772810 - 12/10/16 09:11 PM Re: Moving [Re: Glowstickw]
youngatheart Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

So, it's important for your boyfriend to be close to his child, but not for your child to be close to his dad? Are you really that stupid or just a troll?

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: