Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#773130 - 03/26/17 04:23 PM spousal support after remarriage
distorted Offline
recently joined

Thank God for this awesome forum, I am in California
I was married for 25 years when one day he comes home and wants a divorce he cant do it any longer, leaving me with house to pay for and 2 kids to raise,,, I if I took spousal support ( which could have been ordered for life) but I took a 10 payout that also says it continues even if cohab or remarry, I took this as it was a larger monthly payment and could keep the kids in the house, I do also work.
my dilemma fast forward 5 years and I have mt someone in another state I met through a mutual friend about a year ago, I am planning on moving there and living with him as of now marriage? who knows lol
I am sure that as soon as ex gets wind of this he will quit paying the spousal support..
IT does say its good to such a date even if cohab or remarry.
MY question is what do I do when he stops the payments,, he has never missed a payment. Thank U for any help...

#773134 - 03/26/17 06:41 PM Re: spousal support after remarriage [Re: distorted]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Are the kids still under 18 years old? That can be a problem when attempting to move them out of state.

If he doesn't pay his alimony, it becomes a court issue.

Edited by MinnesotaMom (03/26/17 06:42 PM)

#773136 - 03/26/17 09:44 PM Re: spousal support after remarriage [Re: MinnesotaMom]
distorted Offline
recently joined

no they are both over 18.. the child support portion ends soon, but the future alimony is my concern,

#773143 - 03/28/17 01:05 PM Re: spousal support after remarriage [Re: distorted]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

If the settlement agreement says that he must continue to pay the same regardless of your cohabitation or remarriage and he stops paying he's in contempt of court. You can take him to court and they'll reiterate his obligation to pay. If he still doesn't there may be other legal ramifications for him.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: