Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#1995 - 08/27/04 06:43 PM Please tell me this gets better...
purplehaze Offline
recently joined

I am new to all this. Divorce was completely unexpected. We've been together 3 years and only married 5 weeks. Unfortunately, my "husband" is a criminal who lead a whole nother life I didn't know about and he will be going away for a long time (prison).
We have just started the divorce proceedings and I don't expect them to be contested seeing as he is under house arrest.

I am sad and lonely and really at a loss for what to do with myself. I just am looking for a little support. I never dreamed that when I said "I DO" last month it would end this way or this soon.

#1996 - 08/28/04 05:55 PM Re: Please tell me this gets better... [Re: purplehaze]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Third rock from the sun
You shouldn't be filing for divorce. An annulment is more appropriate.

I don't understand, how can you be with someone for three years and not know they have a [current] criminal history?

#1997 - 08/28/04 07:32 PM Re: Please tell me this gets better... [Re: Gecko]
purplehaze Offline
recently joined

I never would have married him had I known. He did a bang up job keeping it all a secret...he had us all snowed.
My attorney is looking into anullment as an option.

#1998 - 08/28/04 09:46 PM Re: Please tell me this gets better... [Re: purplehaze]
Grace Offline
addict

Loc: KY
It is hard to imagine that someone could "hide" who they are for 3 years. . .but then again, I married a guy that was completely different from the guy I dated for 3 years. He wasn't a criminal, at least not seriously (is poaching deer serious? :), but he hid his dark side very well.
Look at it this way, be thankful that you are able to avoid a very heart-wrenching future with a criminal. If you don't have children together, be EXTREMELY thankful.
I know the shock is a bit to deal with, but it WILL get better.
I've always heard about the so-called rule. . .give yourself a month of grieving for every year of the relationship. It took a bit more for me and my 13 year relationship, but not too mcuh.
For those with kids, the rule should really say. . . give yourself 1 month of grieving for very year or the relationship and 6 months of grieving for every child involved.
Good luck to you. As I said, count your blessings, give it some time, and move on.

#1999 - 08/29/04 03:39 AM Re: Please tell me this gets better... [Re: Grace]
Diane67 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: California
So 2 kids and 17 years takes approximately 2 1/2 years. My son will be graduated from HS. My daughter will have been in college for a year. Good to know the time frame.

#2000 - 08/29/04 03:50 AM Re: Please tell me this gets better... [Re: Diane67]
Grace Offline
addict

Loc: KY
You know, I think it was actually Dr. Phil that came up with 'the rule', back before he had his own show and was still just visiting Oprah from time to time. This 'rule' is how he estimated how much time it took to 'get over' a failed relationship. The time frame was pretty close for me. . .I don't know about anyone else. But, when I was going through the worst of it, I hung onto Dr. Phil's rule and counted the days, at for a while. Silly, I know, but it did help to have a goal or a so-called 'light at the end of the tunel'.

#2001 - 08/29/04 04:01 AM Re: Please tell me this gets better... [Re: Grace]
Diane67 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: California
Thanks again for the info. I am counting the days. My son just began 10th grade.

#2002 - 09/04/04 04:46 PM Re: Please tell me this gets better... [Re: Grace]
Onyx Offline
old hand

Loc: Buffalo NY
I never knew about this rule... we were married for 5 years, together for one year before marriage.... and he left back in Oct. I had healed completely over the relationship approx in April..... the other stuff was unavoidable, the court dates, etc. Cool guage! Blessings, Sue

#772845 - 12/21/16 07:05 AM Re: Please tell me this gets better... [Re: Diane67]
23yrsOhell Offline
recently joined

:)

#773137 - 03/27/17 07:09 AM Re: Please tell me this gets better... [Re: purplehaze]
LouiseB Offline
recently joined

Hi - I'm sorry to hear that you were conned by this guy. I'm sure with the happiness of the wedding so close it must be a shock to find yourself alone again. Try not to dwell on him any longer. You are not to blame and not a victim. Try to pick yourself up as soon as you can. If you have lonely, sad, 'victim' thoughts, observe them, acknowledge them and then set them aside. Don't give them any energy or credence. Spend time planning your next move. Think of all the wonderful things you are and could do with this gift of life. Don't waste time.

Edited by LouiseB (03/27/17 07:09 AM)

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: