Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#773156 - 03/31/17 03:48 AM Rich man poor woman
rrp6909 Offline
recently joined

I have worked very hard for most of my life and have amassed a considerable amount of wealth. I fell in love with a woman who had nothing - practically living out of her car. I asked her to move in with me. We got pregnant, had a child, and I asked her to marry me. We moved to a rural area to be near her family. I purchased a lake house for us, a boat, considerable acreage, and a commercial building in the near buy city for investment. These purchases were made by selling securities I had prior to the marriage. We've been married only two years and now getting divorced. She did nurse the child for a number of months - until he was old enough to go into daycare. Other than that she has not worked nor has she been any kind of a "homemaker". Is she entitled to 50% of my earnings during our marriage (not including what happens with child support/custody) or is she also entitled to the properties purchased (using per-marital funds) during the marriage?
We're in Texas...

#773157 - 03/31/17 04:56 AM Re: Rich man poor woman [Re: rrp6909]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Is her name on any of these properties or items? If so, then yes, your ex will get 1/2 the equity.

If not, then still possibly so.

She's not entitled to 50% of your earnings in the last 2 years and the marriage is too short for alimony.

Do you have an attorney?

#773159 - 03/31/17 03:54 PM Re: Rich man poor woman [Re: MinnesotaMom]
rrp6909 Offline
recently joined

Her name isn't on anything - except a joint bank account but she has already depleted that. I'm just now researching local attorneys. This came upon me quite suddenly/unexpectedly. I had opened, and funded, a joint bank account just a couple weeks ago. She moved all of it to her individual account shortly thereafter and now seeks divorce. I know....I'm an idiot. I guess there's a fine line between trying to demonstrate that you love and trust someone and being taken for a ride!

Thank you for your feedback.

#773160 - 03/31/17 05:00 PM Re: Rich man poor woman [Re: rrp6909]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

You are entitled to half of what was in your account and hers, which boils down to you get 1/2 of what she now has in her account. Do you have investments and retirements? She is entitled to 1/2 of increases since you got married. You are entitled to the same for her as well.

Edited by MinnesotaMom (03/31/17 05:02 PM)

#773161 - 03/31/17 05:53 PM Re: Rich man poor woman [Re: rrp6909]
TJMH Offline

enthusiast

Texas is a community property state, so more than likely anything acquired during the marriage will be split evenly and there's typically a lot less leeway for arguing separate property once it's been co-mingled or converted. If you have assets that you had before marriage that have been kept in a separate account you might have a shot, but once you use the money to acquire marital property you probably have to split it with her.

Doesn't matter whose name is on the title or who earned the money, if it was acquired during the marriage it's community property.

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: