Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#773421 - 05/10/17 05:17 PM Should I reopen my settlement?
Sad Divorcee Offline
recently joined

Ex and I settled last September, and I had to pay him a buyout in exchange for no maintenance/spousal support. Throughout our 10 year marriage, he changed jobs 11 times (voluntarily) so I was always the stable one who made a lot more. He claimed to be unemployed throughout the entire court case, which lasted over a year - on his financial disclosure sheet, he did not list any income.

Now, months later I've come to discover he was running a business that was registered under his sister's name for most of the year. He didn't take any income from the business during that year. However, early this year he got a very large lump sum from his sister when they sold the business. It was clearly planned as a way to hide income/assets. But they were smart about it - everything was under the sisters name, no money exchanged hands until the settlement was finalized. So will a judge see through this? Should I reopen things to fight this? Or do I just have to accept he's an asshole and suck it up? I don't want any of the business money but I would like the buyout amount I gave to him back.

#773423 - 05/10/17 05:38 PM Re: Should I reopen my settlement? [Re: Sad Divorcee]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

What you propose would cost alot of money (I would estimate $15K with an attorney and forensic accountant) and the success rate would more than likely be low.

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: