Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#773651 - 06/09/17 04:50 PM Wife lying about income
Mwilbrink Offline
recently joined

Hello all,

My ex lied on her financial affidavit saying that she has no income yet she is working full time under the table for her step mother. I am assuming she is getting paid cash aa her bank records do not have any deposits going into the account...what do i do to prove that she is infact working? Also she is an international student and should not be working, this leaves me to believe that she is claiming no income so she cant get in s*** for working illegally.

Let me know any suggestions that you have. I am all ears

Thanks!

#773652 - 06/09/17 08:25 PM Re: Wife lying about income [Re: Mwilbrink]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

If your concern is spousal support, I don't think proving she has illegal income will help you. If she's not allowed to work for money, her ability to support herself is zero and you won't be able to get her imputed with income for the purpose of lowering your spousal support obligation.

And in the circumstance you describe with all of her work and income "under the table" it seems like it would be entirely plausible for her and her stepmom to claim that your ex is just doing a favor for her stepmom and stepmom is just supporting her stepdaughter--so no employment or wage/income aspect. Sounds like there's no record of employment by either ex or her stepmom's business. So it would probably be difficult for you to get her into real trouble.

So what's the benefit to you in proving that she's working?

#773654 - 06/09/17 11:37 PM Re: Wife lying about income [Re: Mwilbrink]
Mwilbrink Offline
recently joined

Hey,

My issue is that she is claiming to have zero income. Will this not effect my child support payments? And if not isn't she guilty of purgury for falsifying Court docs... But I see what you are saying about the "doing a favor"...I don't know what to do at this point.

#773655 - 06/09/17 11:49 PM Re: Wife lying about income [Re: Mwilbrink]
MinnesotaMom Online   content

old hand

Support is calculated by W-2 income. Proving cash is all but impossible. Your only choice would be to hire a PI, which is very expensive with no guaranteed results.

#773656 - 06/10/17 02:40 PM Re: Wife lying about income [Re: Mwilbrink]
TJMH Online   content

enthusiast

Part of my point is that if she's working illegally, the likely result of you proving it is that she'll have to stop working. That would be bad for her (and probably for your kids) but make no difference to you. I don't see the court considering her illegal income to lower your support obligation.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: